Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Those flies look more like trolls than the trolls above. What kind of eyes are those. Bizarre looking indeed.

GC; I haven't heard anything yet, but there should be some fish in the rivers by now. This is when we used to start looking for some hogs in the Pawcatuck, but without the herring, there's not much hope of that any more.

Peter, 37" Striper caught on the West Wall Thursday April 13th they're back, and like you say freshman and sophomores in all the rivers.

I've got an older friend living up on Cape Cod inviting me and the wife up. Whens the best time to go for a striper chance?

Salty at one point 80% of the stripers caught in New England were caught on Cape Cod. I would say from the last week in April till the last week in November give or take a week depending on water temp early and late. In the summer the cape is crowded but you know some one so that should help getting around, keep in mind the name Chatham MA.

Nice looking flys guys.

I'll say the fly boxes should be getting pretty full by now.

post-47446-0-75955300-1492485139_thumb.jpg

I've got an older friend living up on Cape Cod inviting me and the wife up. Whens the best time to go for a striper chance?

I'd forget about the dog days of July and August. Not just because of the crowds,

but because the high water temps are apt to keep most of the fish out of the shallow areas.

during the beach-going season. You can actually find fish year-round in most parts of New England, but without local knowledge, it's next to impossible when the fish aren't migrating.

Guides are expensive, but with a limited amount of time, I'd consider hiring one for a day. (especially out of Chatham, like GC mentioned) During the fall season,

you've also apt to run into some albacore or bonito on the southern side of the Cape. If you hook into one of those babies, you'll

forget about stripers pretty quickly.

I don't fish the cape but I fish the NJ beaches. I can tell you there is no better time to be striper fishing on a beach in NJ then October and November. The sun worshiping crowd is long gone and the stripers are there to be caught. The cape has to be similar.

I'm sure the albies are fun like our jacks down here. I have caught a few bonita in my day but I'm a filet and release kind of guy. I do hear that striper are excellent.