Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

It was 5 degrees F, when I wrote that post. Out on my deck.

1981-2 was worst winter year in my December-Jan history, 50 below zero, no wind child, daily highs were -30 for close to a week, then Chinook rolled the cold air out and it went to +50 in about an hour. Nice for 2 days, then back to the deep freeze. Snowed in earl September, same snow still there in April

Sometimes folks wonder why our fishing is so good; no people over most of the land, works for me!

50 below is pretty freaking cold. It would get down to -20 pretty regularly where I grew up never really bothered us until it was around -5 or 10 as long as there isn't wind.

I was up in devils lake ND in the army sometime in the late 80's or early 90's when the weather came close to -45. I likened it to a whole body slurpy burn. When it got up to -10 it felt like summer. It was the only time I ever experienced the condensation in your breath freezing in your nostrils before it had a chance to get expelled. You guys are some hardy souls.

It can be very dangerous. We have close to zero homelessness, except in Casper and Cheyenne; police departments, churches, and social service folks work together to issue bus passes to transients. Not many are refused in winter.

At about 40 below if you spit chewing tobacco, it freezes before hitting the ground. You do not want to know .......

Thanks, Flats, now I must go work on casting. Oh, wait the wind chill is -5to -20 recently. Lakes, ponds, iced over but if wind dies I can practice on the snow covered yards nearby and have done that, so back on topic; just had to get the envy of Floridians outta my system, but justice will be done in the Summer, if turn-about is indeed fair-play wink.png

Well I won't mention that I had to kill the errant skeeter while sittin at the reloading bench last night then. :P

Zero homelessness, because they all come south for the winter. I know of several homeless camps. One I can only see from the water when wading. Oh, it's supposed to be about 78 today with 6kt NE breeze.

Come on down! What's a couple more snow birds.

Skies are crystal clear and I need to go test a couple flies. Wading w/o waders too!

"HaHaHa, We Laugh in the Face of Winter"

True and old Kenduardo family saying, when on Nordic skiing excursions south of Laramie, after we traversed a frozen lake. Often, the air is much warmer at about 7000-8500 feet in elevation, than at 4500-6300 feet. It is pretty thrilling to watch a Moose from 50 feet, after quietly schussing up the trail. A small group always stayed around the lake feeding on willows. They are really dangerous in the summer, when they can come after ya without "post-hole ing" through the 6-12 feet of snow, over which we were gliding.

FUN is where you Find It.

Dont rub it in SwampFly, we are are going to have it rough in a week... ❄️☃️

attachicon.gifC6618FA3-0BBF-4577-82BF-569051AC89C6.jpeg

I know, it will be nightmarish. Heck I bet my cows will get all fuzzy because of it. Kinda funny actually, they do that a couple of times in the "winter". Looks like someone stuffed them in the dryer. My wife loves it.

Back to the thread topic lol

attachicon.gif2017-12-15_18.51.40.jpg

Nice fly Flats, thanks for posting. But

I am letting saltybum police his own thread and/or at the risk of offending our few active women members, I offer the final comment on weather:

The Case for Florida in the Summer:

Boater in Blue PFD

The Case for Wyoming in the summer:

-Friend with "baby" Cuttbow from Cloud Peak Reservoir

-Kenduardo with CUTTBOW "fry" on rare day when not fly fishing

-Neighbor and Friend from down the street from HER public Facebook pages

3sIMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2790.JPGIMG_2788.JPG

Back to the thread topic lolattachicon.gif2017-12-15_18.51.40.jpg

Nice fly Flats, thanks for posting. But

letting saltybum police his own thread and/or offending our active women members, I offer the final comment on weather:

The Case for Florida in the Summer:

Boater in Blue PFD

The Case for Wyoming in the summer:

-Friend with "baby" Cuttbow from Cloud Peak Reservoir

-Kenduardo with CUTTBOW "fry" on rare day when not fly fishing

-Neighbor and Friend from down the street from HER public Facebook pages

3sattachicon.gifIMG_2789.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2787.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2790.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2788.JPG

Your Honors, The REdneck rests....

Nice looking fly man. I was never a fan of polar fibre, always thought it was weird to tie with and fouled a lot when casting. It does have a nice movement in the water but I prefer other materials such as craft fur, rabbit, fox, etc. Wish I could find white pseudo but I believe that's been long gone.

Fished all day, didn't foul once!

post-52832-0-69037600-1514534171_thumb.jpg