Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Hey saltwater brethren! Got a good weekend to field test these prototype gurglers I've been working on. The redfish were smashing it and also landed a 26" speckled trout on it. The fly was working great and held up good all day.

post-61499-0-95228700-1503503846_thumb.jpg

post-61499-0-12480800-1503503855_thumb.jpg

post-61499-0-38970700-1503503861_thumb.jpg

post-61499-0-48191200-1503503868_thumb.jpg

Cool looking tube fly, fshng. Have you gotten it wet, yet? I ask, because it looks like it's going to spin like a top.

Cool looking tube fly, fshng. Have you gotten it wet, yet? I ask, because it looks like it's going to spin like a top.

Thanks Mike this was my first attempt at tube flies.

You piqued my curiosity so I swam the fly today and managed two bream.

post-47446-0-44855800-1503873783_thumb.jpg

The fly will definitely spin if it can turn on the tippet.

The fly is tied on an 1/8" tube and the tippet is 12# with a double surgeon's loop. This was large enough to prevent spinning and did not freely slide in or out of the tube unless snagged. However orientation was impossible.

Summary: Adding a Junction tube to the rear of the fly would be a better option.

Benefits: Smaller tippet can be used, fly won't spin or move in or out and orientation is easily achieved.

Thanks Mike this was my first attempt at tube flies.

You piqued my curiosity so I swam the fly today and managed two bream.

2017-08-27 17.53.20.jpg

The fly will definitely spin if it can turn on the tippet.

The fly is tied on an 1/8" tube and the tippet is 12# with a double surgeon's loop. This was large enough to prevent spinning and did not freely slide in or out of the tube unless snagged. However orientation was impossible.

Summary: Adding a Junction tube to the rear of the fly would be a better option.

Benefits: Smaller tippet can be used, fly won't spin or move in or out and orientation is easily achieved.

You can extend the 'top' wing so its at least a quarter longer than the bottom wing. Also look at a denser fur for the top wing compared to bottom. These should help the tube swim in direction you want.

Brilliant tips, thanks Piker20.

Essentially making the top a control surface, or rudder.

I didn't consider material into the equation, but now ya got me thinking.

Given that the fly is weighted (15 wraps of .020 dia lead) and sinks approx 2 in/sec.

What do you think about adding some foam to the top to help with orientation?

I would of course need to add more weight to help it sink.

Ah! The elusive saltwater bluegill... :D

Too funny!

Makes me realize how versatile a tube fly really is.

The same fly intended to target a large saltwater fish can also be used for a small freshwater fish. Just by changing out the hook.

Ah! The elusive saltwater bluegill... :D

Too funny!

Makes me realize how versatile a tube fly really is.

The same fly intended to target a large saltwater fish can also be used for a small freshwater fish. Just by changing out the hook.

I thought it was funny because I do that all the time. No matter what I tie for, it gets tested in the back yard and I have had some unexpected catches.

Brilliant tips, thanks Piker20.

Essentially making the top a control surface, or rudder.

I didn't consider material into the equation, but now ya got me thinking.

Given that the fly is weighted (15 wraps of .020 dia lead) and sinks approx 2 in/sec.

What do you think about adding some foam to the top to help with orientation?

I would of course need to add more weight to help it sink.

Personally I prefer to use unweighted tube with appropriately rated sink tip/t tips OR I use a cone head to bring the fly down a little. Building the wing correctly should not need you to start adding foam or other extras.

With snook season opening tomorrow, I figured I'd add some electric chicken to my snook box. I plan on hitting the caloosa one day this weekend. Hopefully I can find some moving water.

post-59266-0-05416500-1504232618_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-40013900-1504232630_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-39072400-1504232645_thumb.jpg