Fly Tying
Mickalo

First Time in 40+ years

Well was doing some fish this morning at one of our local ponds caught a bunch of crappies there last week so thought I'd work it again to see if they where still around. Got my fly hung up in some weed beds near the shoreline, started reeling the line in as I waded toward to the fly, not realizing I was putting a bit of bow in the rod tip got about2 ft from the weeds ..... and bag the fly popped loose and hooked me right on my left had middle finger big time!

Thank goddness I was using barbless hooks. Man that stings! First time in over 40 years fishing I hooked my self. And also got to break in our new first aid kit I just bougth about a week ago :)

An experience I hope not to go through any time soon.

Mike

Your doing good, only once in 40 years. I need both hands and one foot to count up the number of times I have hooked myself.

I have removed hooks like that with strong braid. Also at angles where it would not work being along I forced the point back out and pulled it through with pliers as well as using an exacto knife and slicing a hook out. AND all that I'm sure in the last 4 years.

It's part of the game. . . isn't it?

I've only hooked myself, in a long time of fishing, twice that I can remember. Both times, I was able to force the hook the rest of the way through and cut the barb off, then slide it back out. Both times were also with conventional gear.

I've hit myself with a fly several times, caught it in cloths or equipment, but never hooked my flesh with a fly. (Knocking on wood)

I just got hooked for the first time yesterday! Caught a nice striper, but as i was unhooking him, he flopped, and the hook dug in and pulled out! OUCH!

Yea I hooked various parts of clothing over the years but first time actually into the flesh. Just pushed the hook point back through the skin, broke the hook off at the bend and pulled it through, barbed hooks now that's gotta be a real joy ... Ouch!

Mike

I have used the method shown in the video on several people, and have described it to others who were removing hooks from various places on me that I couldn't reach or see. With most small trout fly hooks it is virtually painless. As the video points out, the trick is to make sure the "victim" is not watching or anticipating the snap count.

I've hooked myself a couple of times but usually it not so bad or with the barb. The worst I have ever done it though was when I was taking a trout of a plug and it flopped and got me with one of the trebles right through the finger nail. It left a nice little hole but the pain, although really bad, was only temporary. Barbless wouldn't have helped in this instance since the point did enough damage

Contrary to some opinions "barbed hooks" do not rule in my whereabouts. Habit makes me crush the barbs down. It has nothing to do with releasing fish.

I've had hooks in my tongue, cheeks, ear lopes, forearms and clothes that were tough to get out even with the barb down. All it takes is a sniffle of wing and the fly does what it wants.....you have lost control.

Make sure you protect your eyes !

Also good idea to watch for other people near. or behind you too, caught my daugther in the back of head one time, luckly it just got caugth in her hat. It can be a dangerous sport sometimes smile.png

Mike