Fly Tying
shayes11

Beginner's Homemade Desk

Well after spending $36 on 12 flies last Friday, I decided it was time to start tying my own. Step one was build a desk. Now I've never done this before or been around dedicated tying desks, so please bare with me while I tinker and come up with new ideas. Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Now on to the desk.

The entire desk was built from reclaimed wood (pallets that I had out back for a bonfire and a construction company let me pillage through their trash pile for the frame and legs). I had the stain and sealer in the garage and all of the hardware. So grand total, I'm into this project at a whopping $1.58 for the two wooden dowels.

Stage one. Mocking the top to the legs/frame. The top took a ridiculous amount of sanding to get to a smooth working surface.

DD442D1C-87D1-4976-8F32-BAFA973F3FE9.jpg

The shelving is also built out of pallets. Not the straightest wood out there but I like the character.

0D154F11-9F5B-4A81-8DEB-038D988B46A6.jpg

After staining with minwax and sealing with polycrylic. Came out pretty nice.

EDAA126E-D745-45A9-B2E7-DE17993E27DC.jpg

Inserted 18 separate 3/16 dowels to hold threads etc. Screwed two 8" 2x6's together and drilled 8 3/16" holes for use as a tool caddy. Tomorrow I am going to build a tiered storage unit out of 2x6's with 1" holes for hooks/beads/etc. that I am currently working with. It will slide under the center shelf when not in use. Let me know what you guys thjnk!

image-2.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the crummy picture at the end, it got dark on me and apparently my flash is worse than I thought. Can post a better picture if you'd like.

nice job on the table. as long as you are comfortable using it, that's all that matters

i would mount the vise in the middle rather than on the left like you have it now

I've built with pallet wood before ... and you're correct on both counts.

One ... it's NOT finished wood. It's barely even "finishable" and takes a lot of work just to make it presentable. On that count, it looks like you did a good job ... but I would like to see better pictures of the finished table top.

Two ... it's got a great look if you can find enough straight pieces to finish a job.

Looks like your set up and ready to tie. As mentioned above, since the tying is the whole reason for the bench, the vise goes nearer the center, where your hands will normally rest as you sit at the bench.

Thanks guys. Here is a better picture and in the second you can see how much I had to take off the boards to make them level.

D7618CA2-A238-40AC-833D-91EE3531FD56.jpg

015916E0-D73C-41B0-8062-BC3689A8DE91.jpg

The vise normally sits in the middle of the table but I was using the table as a work bench to drill the holes into the tool caddy. That's why it was clamped on the side.

I have to admit, when I saw the first photo, I thought hmmm, that's kind of rough. Then I paged down and saw the transformation and thought, wow!

Very nice job; way above my skill level.

steve

cool desk. simple, to the point and cheap as hell. you can't beat that.

oh, and looks like a million bucks!

Turned out great... but it's way too neat! But just wait... it'll improve with time.

Looks fantastic! I love wood projects that come out like that and cheap too...

My only slight concerns would be;

1) Unruly beads rolling to find the separations between planks.

2) I might suggest a backdrop plate (<--like that one), might get difficult to see the fly with the darkness of the stain. It may be just fine for you, but my 43 y/o eyes would hand,e more than 20 minutes...

eta: Here is a DIY backdrop, since you are rockin' the wood skills... Pay no attention to the Tenkara stuff... lol.

Thanks a lot everyone! Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing when I started. This is pretty much my first wood working project and since I have no tying experience (except for the 10 Flashback Pheasant Tails that I tied last night), I've just been winging it for the most part.

The separation really isn't bad at all on the first 3 planks, and that's where I think most of the work will be done. I kind of built it that way on purpose, kind of got lucky lol. I LOVE the idea of the back drop! I just finished a stand to hold hooks/beads/etc. that I am currently working with for organization purposes. Heading to Lowes to pick up some more wood, I'll see what I can do about building my own this evening.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. If you have any more, keep em coming! It's a work in progress.

My desk top is black, and I think it's easier to see stuff on than a white top. A good strong light and everything pops up from the black top.

That desk looks very nice, now that you've posted better pictures. I think you've done very well building it.

As far as dropping thinks and having them find the spaces between the boards, you can always just put mat down directly under the fly. Carpet remnants are super cheap and you can get a "hard back" type outdoor piece that should do fine.

I think I'm finally done. The piece on the left is perfect for holding beads and hooks that I am actively working with.

2AB44D2B-BB2E-413C-9210-70AFB74667B9.jpg

The more I use the desk, the more I think I actually like the dark top for tying. I am 24 and I'm sure I won't feel that way when I'm 42, but for now I'll go without the backdrop. Might still make one for picture though.

Here are my first flies. Any suggestions or tips.

10 Flashback Pheasant Tails

5 Beadhead Flashback PT

1 Pats Rubber Leg (not the best I know but that thing took me forever to tie, stupid legs)

051DD863-90A3-4024-AC7C-FBC55CEC52CF.jpg

09AB5F65-B849-48AF-A0DC-4EE0E241157F.jpg

Bluegill supposedly love legs. I've tied with a few, never with so many, but I am sure you'll get something to bite that.

I turned 55 July 29th, and I love the dark desk top. Like I said, a nice bright light makes everything on it pop, without a bright surface reflecting the light into my eyes.

The ONLY thing I'd change is the light. I'd clip that to the top shelf and try to angle it more down onto the vise, instead of pointing out at you.

Fantastic table, only thing, it will grow small over time filling up with all kind of stuff.

Regarding flies, look nice, however I would make the tails around one third of the length or shorter.

Nice desk and it's easy to see that you put in a lot of time to get a nice finish on the wood. Thanks for posting the pics.