Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

adhesives for foam

Lock Tite brushable super glue and many years ago I used a type of contact cement but do not remember any specifics as to brand, etc. I just remember it took a bit of experimenting but in the end I ended up using the super glue with a kicker to make it set up instantly as that was important when tying up 50 dozen flies. Just checked a drawer and I still have a bottle of the stuff it's called "Zip Kicker" by Pacer Co. The other thing that gets super glue to set up faster is just breathing on it , as it is moisture activated. It was originally used in WWar 2 for emergency repairs on submarines.

Have you tried to use the glue you already have? Super glue does work with certain foam. The foam I have from the craft stores brush able krazy glue works just fine. The wapsi foam from the fly shop it doesn't, especially the razor foam. From what I've read I think you are supposed to use the kicker spray even with the foam safe stuff. Maybe buy a bottle of kicker and try it with regular super glue like bruce77 said. I've tried sally Hansen HAN and flex cement and neither of those work either.

I've been using brushable Krazy Glue on craft foam successfully. In the past I did a fly with a commercial head cement and it worked but I don't remember what brand. For all I know, it might have been Sally Hansen. Anyway, I now use Krazy Glue.

What adhesives do you use on your foam flys? Foam safe Zap a Gap is just too pricy.

For use on the fly, you could try a urethane glue like Liquid Fusion.

If you want to glue foam sheets together in a sandwich, 3M Super 77 spray adhesive is what you want.

For gluing foam together i use contact cement

That is basically what 3M Super 77 is. Spray both foam sheets, wait until tacky and press together. Works great and the Super 77 doesn't dry up like in the container like traditional contact cements. You end up with a very thin seam.

This Morrish Hopper's bi-colored body is glued with Supper 77.

MorrishHopper.png

That works for commercial tyers who tie the same fly over and over all day. I only tie one fly at a time, so I generally cut out the body shape from two pieces and glue those two shapes together. Also, there are a number of hoppers, etc., where the tyer glues two body strips together after part of the body is already on the hook.