Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheBugSlinger

EagleClaw Glass Featherlite Fly Rod

I fished one years ago. All I can tell you on that is that glass has come a long way since then and maybe, hopefully, the Eagle Claw has also. Back then it was a club with no redeeming features. Yes, it could case a line, mainly since I was a lot better caster back then, but the whole flexed without any real power area. Soft with no good tip or mid buildup of power. I much preferred the Shakespeare Wonderods back in that era since they had more backbone than the Featherlights. I'm sure their product is far better today but I'd sure like to cast one first.

ps...If you really want to punish yourself trying to fly fish just get an old combo fly/spin pack rod from them. An experience you'd like to forget.

I fished one years ago. All I can tell you on that is that glass has come a long way since then and maybe, hopefully, the Eagle Claw has also. Back then it was a club with no redeeming features. Yes, it could case a line, mainly since I was a lot better caster back then, but the whole flexed without any real power area. Soft with no good tip or mid buildup of power. I much preferred the Shakespeare Wonderods back in that era since they had more backbone than the Featherlights. I'm sure their product is far better today but I'd sure like to cast one first.

ps...If you really want to punish yourself trying to fly fish just get an old combo fly/spin pack rod from them. An experience you'd like to forget.

Cheers, saw one for 20.00, thought it might be a interesting addition to my rod collection.

I don't have that specific rod but I have one very similar made by eagle claw back in the early 90's. If your using it to fish with, for the price it's not bad. I've definitely fished worse rods in that price range.

The one I had was from the 1970s, and was a very soft action. I did fish it on small streams, since I liked the way it worked with short line. The new that I have seen, and still a pretty soft action.

I have not cast the long version and they did seem to be very soft. I did buy one of the new 7' 5/6 wt rods to have for a visitor as a loaner so they would not break one of my graphites trying to jerk a fly out of a tree. I took it out and fished it and kinda liked it personally. I preferred it with the 6wt but it did just fine with the 5wt line too. The 7'er did have some backbone and is just not a limp noodle. I intend to try it out on some carp one of these days. I felt that the rod cast just as well as many that cost several times the $20. If I happen on to the 6 1/2' version I will snap it up too though they seem to be on the rare side. .....The ferrule is not high quality nor are the guides but they work. I can recommend the 7'er and would be happy to fish it myself. I personally started with a Shakespeare combo and I hated it. The first thing I replaced was the auto reel anchor with a Medalist. I then replaced the heavy rod with a Heddon and it was a huge improvement. I still have the original rod. I dug it out a few months ago and I found it to be a little better than I remembered but not much. I have spinning rods that will cast a better line than that old Shakespeare rod. That being said, I didn't like some of the old Fenwicks either.

I had one some years ago. Like the others have said it's not a high end rod feel by any means, but for $20 I'd say to grab it. How can you go wrong for that price.

Out of curiosity, Do you make glass fly rods? If so what would one be looking at price wise? :) PM me if you do not want to post here. 8'6-9' foot 5 weight moderate action would be what I am looking for.

TL

I found a Wright & McGill Eagle Claw "Deluxe Eagle" 8 ft. 6/7 wt. last year for $25 in one of those old fashioned hardware stores that has lots of stuff in barrels that they've had for years. Couldn't pass it up. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and will probably start trying it with 5 wt. line as that's all I have on my reels. It has a number 01168 on it, which I'm guessing is a model number. Haven't been able to find out anything about it.

Get one for my son as a Christmas gift last year. I have used it a few times. I think it is 7 ft. long.5/6 wt. Pretty nice for a $30 rod. Have tried rods that cost 10x as much that didn't handle as good. Thinking about getting one for myself.