Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
barrytheguide

Raster for Roosters

I have searched hig and low for a recipe for the Rasta fly. This is the best I came up with from a photo. Does anyone have a recipe for one? I'm off on a drive to Baja soon and would like to have some decent ones in my fly box since flies are impossible to buy there.

Bazzer

Looks like any number of "pike flies" or other large streamers. "Rasta" was probably some person's name for their own version. It looks mostly like a "chewbacca" ... which I think you'll find on this pattern database.

Best I could find. http://www.ifish4life.com/focus-on-roosterfish.html

Looks like it's basically a Bucktail Deceiver style tied with hair other than just bucktail.

You might want to take a look at some of the flies in this thread: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/937820/fly-pics

I would bet they would work well too. smile.png

Flies for Roosters are usually stripped very quickly. ie with the rod held under the armpit and a two handed "speed retrieve ". Therefor the head is tied with Artic Fox,nice and waterproof, with the butts facing rearward to maintain a nice fat profile. But whilst it might be similar to other patterns I still don't know the correct recipe

No, the photo isn't clear, and I don't have any firsthand knowledge to offer on this pattern.

What is described as the "inner wing" appears to be a bottom wing, tied under the shank. I base this on the colors and the texture of the deer tail wing. What is described as the "outer wing" appears to actually be the upper wing, mounted on the top of the shank.

Perhaps it looks a bit that way to you as well.

No, the photo isn't clear, and I don't have any firsthand knowledge to offer on this pattern.

What is described as the "inner wing" appears to be a bottom wing, tied under the shank. I base this on the colors and the texture of the deer tail wing. What is described as the "outer wing" appears to actually be the upper wing, mounted on the top of the shank.

Perhaps it looks a bit that way to you as well.

You know, I think you are right about the wings. I have been tying them salmon style with both the wings on top, I will try as you suggest with the lower underneath. My latest dressing is with a Fish Skull with eyes, it looks ok to me. I'll post a picture in the morning.

Bazzer