Fly Tying
Piker20

DECEMBER FLY from the bench

This is a first try at a more dressed fly. I need to buy a new JC cape if I'm going to tie more as I only have trout size left but I intend to fish with them, not frame them so unsure it makes a big difference. Able to use macaw feathers eventually.

dressed006_zps5f0a1371.jpg

This is a first try at a more dressed fly. I need to buy a new JC cape if I'm going to tie more as I only have trout size left but I intend to fish with them, not frame them so unsure it makes a big difference. Able to use macaw feathers eventually.

Perfect for a fishing fly. About the only things it lacks to be a "framer" is symmetry on the wing materials, horn, and topping and a tighter tail. The tag and butt look great and the rib looks like it is very tight and symmetrical. Good size on the head as well. Much better than my first, I'm embarrassed to post it.

post-51018-0-56235100-1417716804_thumb.jpg

Yes the gp feathers are causing me more issues than I imagined they would to sit straight. I think its part my thread base and part stem bending and flattening. They sit together well untill the next threads or material and then start to go squiffy.

Guess it'll all come together with more practice.

BPBRNML1_zps12b54de7.jpg

BP MIDGE LARVA (Brown) – Daiichi 1130, #18 – #22…

STUCKSHUCKMIDGESCRM_zps3175e1ab.jpg

STUCK SHUCK MIDGES…

PT/TB

Perfect for a fishing fly. About the only things it lacks to be a "framer" is symmetry on the wing materials, horn, and topping and a tighter tail. The tag and butt look great and the rib looks like it is very tight and symmetrical. Good size on the head as well. Much better than my first, I'm embarrassed to post it

Nice first attempt, proportions are important in tying, especially classics

OK fellows I have a question...When you say lacquered what exactly is the sealant you are using?

Yes the gp feathers are causing me more issues than I imagined they would to sit straight. I think its part my thread base and part stem bending and flattening. They sit together well untill the next threads or material and then start to go squiffy.

Guess it'll all come together with more practice.

Practice, practice and more practice :)