Fly Tying
Cannonx4

Anyone ever seen a fish like this...

I went out yesterday and put a little time in on SC's delayed harvest section of the Chauga River on a rather cool day, 25 degrees when I left the truck. Pretty chilli for SC standards. I caught this fish that had a funny looking color to it. Sort of... I let you make up your mind! I'll throw in a couple of other pictures of some nice trout. The other side of the fish was normal rainbow colored.

SAM_0395_zpsb22b102c.jpg

SAM_0396_zpsee089105.jpg

SAM_0397_zps03fee7f1.jpg

SAM_0403_zps1283307e.jpg

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/centerfire_223/media/SAM_0404_zpsc3fba4b9.jpg.html]SAM_0404_zpsc3fba4b9.jpg

Quick answer is no. Lots of different pigmentation on rainbows over the years but that is a true fluke.

Short answer - no. Spots all over that thing. Very pretty fish though. And red 'cheek'. Nice trophy. Some kind of cross?

And the last picture - I am no expert on fish identification but - does the body look like a Lake Trout - but the fins look Brook Trout-like????

Nice catches all the same.

BCT

And the last picture - I am no expert on fish identification but - does the body look like a Lake Trout - but the fins look Brook Trout-like????

my thoughts as well....

looks like a checkerboard chimera. google it. weird for sure.

the last pic looks like a nice brookie to me ... ? nothing strange about it as far as I can see.

the last pic looks like a nice brookie to me ... ? nothing strange about it as far as I can see.

They're saying that the back seems to lack vermiculation. I think it's just the way the light is hitting the fish in photo. Nice char, either way.

Some nice fish there, I have not seen coloration like that first one but then again I rarely target them. Lake trout (togue) easily cross with brook trout to form splake, a sterile hybrid. If I caught a brookie that looked like that I would probably automatically assume it was a splake. Do they stock splake in SC? They stock a lot of them in Maine because they have good growth rates and can compete better with bass than togue or brookies alone where the bass populations have destroyed trout reproduction.

I was fishing the delayed harvest section, where they stock the fish from the hatchery with a helicopter. I don't know if they raise lake trout up there or not. I am sending a picture to the hachery to see if we can get some kind of explaination of what it is or what causes it. When I hear back from them I will update with the results.

Redietz, it's definately not the way the light was hitting the fish. It's hard to tell but the back half of the fish looked like a normal rainbow but it almost white. You could faintly see the markings and coloration. It was an awesome fish either way. Can't wait to get back in there again.

Redietz, it's definately not the way the light was hitting the fish. It's hard to tell but the back half of the fish looked like a normal rainbow but it almost white. You could faintly see the markings and coloration. It was an awesome fish either way. Can't wait to get back in there again.

I was refering to the back of the char.

Yes, the rainbow is an awesome fish. (I have seen oddly colored ones like that before on a couple of occasions.)

I have seen the first fish i the first three photo's. We have one of them swimming around crazy looking. It came from the hatchery that way. Im interested in hearing whats the deal with him as well.