Fly Tying
vicrider

February Monthly Swap Pictures

So here's good reasons why you should be in a swap any chance you get if you have time and materials. Like they say, these dogs will hunt.

Some of the pictures aren't as good as I thought they were when I transferred them but you can get the drift.

DSC00968.JPG DSC00969.JPG DSC00970.JPG

DSC00971.JPG DSC00972.JPG DSC00973.JPG

DSC00974.JPG DSC00975.JPG DSC00976.JPG

DSC00977.JPG DSC00979.JPG DSC00980.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

NICE!!!

Thank you for posting the pictures. It's good to see what I miss by being on the road all the time.

Really great looking set of flies. I hope my offering isn't too shabby, considered that it was tied by an old bluegiller. #14 Hetero-Genius Orange. Hope Dave Hise doesn't critique it!

BB

They're all on there way, including one that I didn't get a picture of but you're going to like.

What awesome variety. Nice tying everyone.

Thanks Vicrider for hosting AND for going through the trouble of posting all of the pics! -Dorado

Come on mail man!!!! LOL Hurry...hurry...hurry...Thank you vicrider for hosting and for the pictures. I enjoy taking a peep at the flies before they arrive.

Got mine in yesterday, couldn't reply till now since my internet was down. Very nice collection of flies, makes me wish the snow was gone and the temperature high enough so I could try them out.

Jolly Red, I don't keep real good track of who's who but I think it was your fly I somehow didn't get on and doubled on a different one. Colorful little guy if I remember without going to the box to check. Anyway, we're warming today and next 5 days look like sunny 60-65 right straight thru. If winds don't go crazy, something they're well known for and why our landscape is all windfarms today, I will get out, even if only to get some new fly rods to the water from shore to check them out. During the winter amongst much fly tying I took two bamboo blanks and finished them out. Both are 7'6" 5/6 weights and after I check them both out I'll decide which to sell and which to keep.

I also just got in a bamboo rod package that I've been waiting on a master builder in Denver area to complete and it is everything I had hoped for and then some. It's what they call a "companion rod" in that there's two distinct butts and two tips, one a slower 4 and other a faster 5. This can be set up with either butt to be a 6'9" or 7'9" 4 or 5 weight. You could call it two one tip rods but the interchangability of tips and butts and ferrule fit of each in one package gets the designation companion rod. These are fantastic rods with bamboo flaring into a swelled butt that becomes the bamboo handle, then a bamboo reel seat. This is all encased in a four sided wood case with scrimshaw scene and lock fish designs of ancient Mammoth. If you'd like to take a look it's here.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=85042

Got mine today! EXCELLENT EXCELLENT indeed. If I were a fish I would be in a buffet heaven...LOL...They all look great to me. Can't wait to hopefully try them out. Thanks everyone and once again thank you vicrider for hosting.

mww3BA5l.jpg

Whoever tied the worm saved my day today. It was a pretty weird day really. The river has went up about a foot in the last week and is just a little off color. I figure it would be a good day to fish the streamers from my swap. I barely wade in before I notice all the bugs coming off the water so I quickly ditched the streamer stick for my 4wt. Two hours later I'm skunked. Despite the hatch nothing's rising. I'm nymphing and the fish are ignoring flies that are usually a sure bet here. I end up tying on the worm as a dropper above my anchor fly and immediately catch three fish on three casts. By the time I lost it to a snag I bet I caught between 25 and 30 fish on it. After I lost the secret weapon worm I went back and switched to the streamers. Caught a couple on them too.

-Mike

Crackleback,

Thanks for sharing your story as well as the picture. I did not tie the fly but I did take notice of it. Hopefully I can try it out this spring on some panfish.