Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

Stm ... that's cute enough to actually make a pet. You might get lots of fin hooks, since the fish will want to pet it and call it "George".

I think we need to hold a "beauty pageant" of sorts.

All the guys who tie great looking deer hair vie for the top spot in the site.

Prize is the adulation from all the other members ... no, no money 'r nothin'.

Thanks mike!! I just wished I would have remembered the weed guard. I got the tail done and the first bunch of deer hair and realized I'd forgot. It's something that I have had a hard time getting into the habit of doing.

Me too. I get so excited when the fly is nearing "done", then realize that (once again) I forgot a weed guard.

I am hoping that by the time I get going with deer hair, I'll be better. Hopefully, you'll get a crushingly large fish on that before you need a weed guard. That's my justification ... it won't last long enough to need one !!!

post-54906-0-76430600-1426194747_thumb.jpg]post-54906-0-40194200-1426194634_thumb.jpgI've tried to spin deer hair, its not easy and i suck at it. I'm practicing but until i get it right I cant post them. instead with all the bead work Ive seen this past week i went and got some glass beads. This is my first attempt at a beaded pheasant nymph.

I like that. I don't know if it passes any "pattern test" ... but it does look like something I'd tie and fish with.

B.CADDIS%20GRP_zps3fals7pm.jpg

B. CADDIS (JIG) – Bloom/Variant – Hanak 450 BL Hook, #10 – #16…

RYCHO%20Z-WING_zpsqcozzncq.jpg

RYCHO Z-WING (Olive) – Mercer/Variant – Hanak 390 BL Hook, #12 – #16…

PT/TB

I especially like the last one, Ken. I do like the colors of all the rest ... but I don't care for the square cut of the "tail" end.

Maybe it'll slim down as you pull it through the water.

I usually try to trim a little taper into the tail end ... not always successfully.

I'll be eager to hear if they catch fish!

I ran the second one under the sink just to see it wet, and they do slim down, not anywhere near as much or as nicely as bucktail though. The synthetic hair is stiffer than I anticipated. That last one is experimental, I tied the flash in at both ends so it scrunches outward, thought being that wire body will show through like how some bait have translucent bellies.

Still stacking deer hair but changed it up and started on some poppers.

Stack deer hair is an art all to itself. I haven't been successful with it as of yet.