Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

Tied this up as a quick stonefly nymph. I dont really like doing the kaufmann's stone back so I wanted to do a different version and this is my second edition of this fly and the insect it is intended to imitate (find one every time I kick seine). I may add a second fold in to the process and a set of legs.

BTW... sculpinmaster like your f-fly

post-52247-0-80692300-1426641603_thumb.jpg

post-52247-0-99846800-1426641613_thumb.jpg

Soldier beetle

Hi guys my wife and came up with this pattern for a soldier beetle. Uses a Syd dry hook, yellow Antron dubbing, black hen feather as a wing case and brown hackle. Soldier beetles sit very flat on the water and I have noticed trout take them as though they were emergers. What advice can you offer to improve this design?

Look forward to your feedback

TheCream,

Love the color! You definitely have a talent for deer hair!!!

VB1971,

Not a lot was my first reaction to your question. Last season one of my customers wanted a Soldier Beetle tying. It took a lot to get to the fly he was happy with, and it is a lot more complicated than your tying. (You can see a SbS for it here).

The only thing I suggest with yours is to take a pair of scissors with you when you fish them. If they don't work well as they are, trim the hackle flat below the hook shank, and see if that makes a difference.

The first problem that we have is I am not sure we are talking about the same beastie. There are lots of beetles called the soldier beetle. From the colouration of yours I doubt if they are the same. The one I was trying to imitate is a bright orangey red, something like the colour of a guardsman's tunic, with a faint olive cast to it in places.

Your fly has given me an idea for a simplified Soldier beetle. Coloured to match the one we have here. I'll tie up a couple and get some photos when my new macro extension tubes land.

Cheers,

C.

Thanks for the kind comments. A few more North Country wet flies after a glut of F-flies.

Moorgame and Orange (Freckled Dun) - A Sylvester Lister pattern, from Rob Smith's The North Country Fly.

16667330108_9b833f4854_k.jpg

Hook: Partridge Spider size 14

Thread: Pearsall's silk no.6a gold

Body: Silk

Hackle: Grouse, I used a feather from the back of the neck

Head: Peacock

Little Black

16647629237_cf0ea79ab0_k.jpg

Hook: Partridge Spider size 18

Thread: Pearsall's silk no.8 purple

Body: Magpie tail herl over wrapped with silk

Hackle: Starling

Snipe and Purple

16667557970_31cfc94557_k.jpg

Hook: Partridge Spider size 16

Body: Silk

Hackle: Marginal (upper) covert of snipe

Hare's Lug and Plover

16232603504_ad7bca428d_k.jpg

Hook: Partridge Spider size 14

Thread: Pearsall's silk no.5 yellow

Rib: Fine gold wire

Body: Hare's ear dubbing

Hackle: Marginal covert of golden plover

Smoke Fly - I have deviated a little and used magpie for the body instead of peacock, I thought it would look similar but it doesn't appear to have the same iridescence that the peacock would.

16829683876_bca6e5134e_k.jpg

Smoke Fly by sculpin_crusader, on Flickr

Hook: Partridge Spider size 16

Body: Magpie tail herl (should be peacock)

Hackle: Snipe undercovert

Head: Peacock herl