Fly Tying
eide

March Flies from the Vice

IMG_0818-1024x1024.jpg

Got some SF Flash Blend that I had to try out, on a Mustad C70SD #1/0, never tied a baitfish this size before.

Look great Ed. Without offending you, why did you put those peepers so close to the eye? I prefer mine to be an "eye length" back on the fibers. They will definitely catch fish.

Look great Ed. Without offending you, why did you put those peepers so close to the eye? I prefer mine to be an "eye length" back on the fibers. They will definitely catch fish.

I guess from old habits from smaller baitfish, did a new version:

IMG_0820-1024x1024.jpg

More 12 + 28. This time Adams.

Was tough doing grizzly hen wings and both brown and grizzly hackle on size 28.

Henrik, I applaud your efforts. The Royal Coachman was especially splendid. The smallest I've gotten with decent wings is a 26 with grizzly tip wings. My goal when I get tying the run of 6" Hog Snares I'm working on is to go back to the little stuff and tie a 32 with wings that would stand scrutiny under a magnifier.. After what I'm working on now it will really seem tiny. I've tied some 30s and 32s but only with tail, dubbing and hackle. No winged ones yet. I've been using either Spiderweb or Veesus 16/0 or 17/0. Anything bigger and you're going to go with a thread body since there's not going to be room for thread and dubbing with anything else.

Crackle, that is an arsenal of great hair stacking!!!

I am in the midst of producing some deer and feather streamers for the striper season and hopefully will be able to sell them in a local shop. my question is should i sell them as a mixed set or as a design set. please give an opinion.( btw i have a fourth design i just haven't taken a snapshot of it yet)

Guys be honest, I can totally take the criticism. I value everyone's input. post-54906-0-18229400-1426437202_thumb.jpg

There are so many impressive tyers on this site! I am looking to becoming more involved and upping my game. Thanks to all for participating.

Tom

Wood Special tied on #8 4x long streamer hook. Popular in Maine for brook trout either trolling or casting. One of 12 I did for a swap.

woodspecial.jpg

Inspired by all the great deer hair work displayed on this forum.

bug000b.jpg

John I really love that Wood Special. That would work in the salt i think.

johnnyquahog,

Some darn good tying there! How long have you been tying?

I'd like to say I just got one of those tying kits in a box for Christmas but I started around 1980. Of course back then you took out every book they had in the library and read it a couple of times. Salt water fishing and tying boomed around here ~1990 with the return of the striped bass so I got into that. I can't imagine how different the learning curve would have been had you tube been around.

thanks for the compliments.

post-54906-0-81746400-1426450064_thumb.jpg

trying to add more synthetics to the flys. Each one has some uv yarn, these are the ones i plan to use mostly for night/ overcast days. I know the reds and blacks worked well for guys around me.