Fly Tying
Chaznsc

Stupid "rotary" vise question...

Hello,

This is my first post....figure I'd start out with a really dumb one!

I've tied since I was 15 years old. Started out using needle nose vise grips. Then my dad crafted a more formal vise using a tap wrench inserted to a wood base, and I have used if off and on since then. I'm now 50 and picked up my old box of materials to get back to some of the things I enjoyed at 16. I tie freshwater, dries, streamers, caddis, and used to sell poppers in high school to classmates who had never seen anyone tie. I used to get my supplies from Tackle Craft in Wisconsin; they are now closed.

So I'm looking for a new vise. I see that now rotary's are popular, not sure they existed in the 80's. Anyhow, I have noticed some rotate on the hooks axis, and some not. Soooooo, couple of questions:

Why did the rotary get introduced?

The axis rotating vise seems more practical to me, or rather, the non axis seems clumsy.

Are there any good reviews of the sub $150 vises?

Anything to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,

Chaz

post-55424-0-21427000-1425236077_thumb.jpg

You would be surprised at just how many people as this same (or very similar,) question. There is one vise Review here. These reviews are a few years old, but they do cover quite a few rotary vises. There is a different review from Fly Fisherman Magazine also on-line.

The rotary vise has been around for many years. I first saw one in 1958 at Pat Barnes' shop in West Yellowstone. Universal had a rotary vise way back in the 1960s.

They were first developed to help make tying "faster", and many first designs really didn't help all that much. By the late 1980, there were quite a few on the market and designs had improved. In the early 1990s, they started to become more an more popular, but many non-rotating vises were and are still sold. They offer features that allow the tier to turn the hook over for better access when tying materials under a fly, or to view the back side of a fly without removing the hook from the vise. They also allow the tier to wind materials onto the hook.

There is still some debate as to just how much people actually use the rotary features when tying, but I know I do. I have two true axis rotational vises. Not only do they hold the hook so that it rotates on the axis of the hook shank, but they can spin the fly at any rate I want. I use mine to rotate many different materials onto the hook shank rather than winding material around the stationary hook.

I for one would never go back to a stationary vise, even though there are times when I don't rotate my vise. If you don't have the feature, you can never explore its advantages, and almost any rotary vise can be locked into a single position when necessary.

There are other features to consider like ease of adjustment for different hook sizes, and access to the fly with the hook in the jaws. These and other features can only be judged by the individual. There are many options available in sub $150 vises. And many are excellent well built vises that should give you years and years of service.

Look at the Wolff Anvil and Apex vises. They are both in-line rotary vises, made in America, and under or about $150. The Peak rotary vise is just a bit over that price, but it is another excellent option. Many people are using various different "knock off" vises. These vises are usually made in Asia somewhere, and while they do have many of the same features, and come with a lower price tag, I am not willing to recommend any of them until after I see one last 50 years. I have worked in shops were these vises were used in fly tying classes, and the failure rate was just too high.

Chasnsc, the vises that rotate but do not appear to rotate on the hooks axis usually (maybe always) have a jaw shaft that can be turn horizontal, which then puts the hook basically on the rotation level of the jaws. I have and have had several vises and I've decided my personal choice is a rotational vise that has the straight jaw shaft. I have 3 vises sitting on my desk and all have the big V shafts that keep hooks on rotational plane. I just traded away an Apex Anvil recently that has the straight jaw shaft and a set screw so the shaft can be rotated down to horizontal. I decided I like that better myself and have ordered vise like that. I'm just not happy with the rotational vises the have the big V coming out of the stem. To each his own but my choice is to go back to the ones you refer to that rotate but no on the hook axis. In actuality all that I've seen like that can be turned down to align with hook and give you a nice, flat shaft to work off and rest hand.

Rotary vises were available in the 1980s. I think Renzetti invented the rotary vise before 1980.

There a vises the turn the fly upside down but a rotary vise rotates the fly along the hook axis. Most rotary vises including the Renzetti Traveller have a fixed head and arm angle so they rotate the fly "close" but not perfectly on the hook shaft. The Renzetti Master has a patented "adjustable jaw hinge" that allows the vise to be adapted so it rotate truly on the hook shank axis. Some vises like the EZ rotary have adjustment holes on the head.

It might be the vise that would fit your needs. It is on sale at Hook & Hackle.

http://store.hookhack.com/E-Z-Rotary-Vises/products/229/

Chaznc,

I’ve got a Rotary Vise (sold by Universal Vise) that was purchased about 1966. It is an “axis rotating” (True Rotary) vise. The idea was good but the implementation – not so hot. The jaws were hard to use and tying tails in was difficult because the horizontal shaft impeded access to the bend of the hook.

Rotary started to kick into gear in the 80’s when Andy Renzetti came up with the idea of a bent shaft (the common design today for True Rotary which he patented), which allowed good access to the rear of the hook along with other improvements. People saw the advantages of the new design and the popularity of rotary tying grew. However, as you’ve noticed, not all vise rotary action is the same.

That led to the development of the term “True Rotary” when referring to an “axis rotating” vise. The big difference between the two rotary types is that with “True Rotary” you can wrap materials by rotating the vise and you can roll the hook over bringing the backside of the hook to the front. Both types will allow you to easily view the backside of the hook to check alignment and matching of feathers (shoulders, Jungle Cock eyes).

Norvise is one design that stayed with a horizontal shaft and you might want to check them out. You may find the $150.00 for a “True Rotary” vise a limiting factor. However, if you’re not looking for a 100% metal vise you might want to look at Danvise and certainly the others mentioned above.

Chasnc.... I appreciate your dad's innovativeness. I tied for years using an Exacto knife handle for a vise. As you've been told, having a true rotational vise really speeds up tying certain (actually most) flies, and speed is especially important to folks who tie flies to sell, and need to turn out quantity. I only tie one fly at a time, rarely tie two of the same fly, and speed is the last thing I need, so as you might guess, I don't have a true rotational vise. Whether you do or don't is up to you, but let me pass on one bit of advise: if you opt not to get a true rotatable, be sure you at least get a vise that you can rotate the fly upside down to work on the underside, without having to unclamp the hook! My first cheap vise worked fine for popping bugs, foam spiders, etc., but it was a real nuisance to have to unclamp and reclamp an unfinished fly so I could work underneath.

Oh, one more thing... there are no stupid questions, only unasked ones. Helping provide information is why this forum exists. Ask to your heart's content, and don't be ashamed of wanting to learn.

Chasnc.... I appreciate your dad's innovativeness.

Me too :) part of me feels guilty for even looking at a modern vise. This one is 35 years and still kicking. I had a buddy give me a Thompson clip on and it went back in the drawer in favor of dad's invention.

I appreciate the great information here, a lot of my confusion is now clear. And, yes, I'm sure not everyone is happy with XXX vise, but those that are aren't writing reviews, they are tying.

Oh, one more thing... there are no stupid questions, only unasked ones...

A common misconception I have disproved many times.

Vic

I used to teach (in college), and in every class, there may be one person with the courage to go ahead and ask the questions that a dozen others were wanting to, but didn't. Here, just as in class, when a person asks a question and gets answers, not only the asker, but lots of others also benefit. I'd guess that the majority of what I've learned here (and that's a lot) came from questions someone else asked.

I'm confused.... You first asked for reviews...

Hello,
This is my first post....figure I'd start out with a really dumb one!

So I'm looking for a new vise. I see that now rotary's are popular, not sure they existed in the 80's. Anyhow, I have noticed some rotate on the hooks axis, and some not. Soooooo, couple of questions:

Why did the rotary get introduced?
The axis rotating vise seems more practical to me, or rather, the non axis seems clumsy.
Are there any good reviews of the sub $150 vises?
Anything to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,

Chaz

Then you imply that those happy with the vises are not writing reviews....

I appreciate the great information here, a lot of my confusion is now clear. And, yes, I'm sure not everyone is happy with XXX vise, but those that are aren't writing reviews, they are tying.

I find the two posts contradictory. "but those that are (happy), aren't writing reviews, they are tying."