Fly Tying
robow7

In need of better Mallard flank feathers

I'm in need of Mallard flank feathers that have straighter quills or spines. I'm tying up a bunch of Zoo Cougars and similar flies that require a pair of married Mallard flank feathers and they tie up so much easier and fish better if the quills are reasonably straight. It seems that when ever I purchase a standard bag of Mallard feathers, there are very few that are straight and spade like in shape. Do you have any decent sources? As always, thank you for your input.

Short of collecting your own, the best supplier of natural materials there is, is Steve Cooper at Cookshill.

I had to look up the pattern to see what you are after. The reduced curve you see comes from using the tip of large flank feathers. (Not the very tip, like hackle point wings, but the tip half of the feather.) If you are trying to use the small stuff most people sell you will not get that effect.

Cheers,

C.

I have the same problem tying Stayner's Ducktails. I've tried holding the feathers over steam and it straightens the stems a little, but not much. I have no answer. I wish I did.

Joe

You probably won't want to do this, pretty slow and it's of limited value. The feathers are naturally curved, the larger the feather the less the curve in relation. You can cut off the bottom of the feather, which removes most of the curve, then actually press them with a steam iron. This takes time and won't fully make them straight, but it helps. You can do several feathers at a time. After reading the OP, I tried steaming and pressing them last night. It works pretty well on large Wood duck flank feathers.

Definately get with duck hunters. For the last 4 years I haven't been able to go because of my back and the guys have taken really good care of me with flank feathers. Here's a couple of the real big clumps

100_7043.jpg

100_7044.jpg

Had a total of 19 gallon bags and 17 quart bags. Mallard, Teal, Gadwall, Lemon-barred wood and barred wood and hen gadwall flank

100_7060.jpg

Before packaging, you may wish to take the time to remove the "fluff" from the base of each feather. This will remove volume and make it much easier to sort your feathers and to find exactly what

you need...

Now that us the mondo load!

When I run short of center feathers I use a matching right with a matching left and tie them in, this way fly looks balanced, having said that , when I strip these they are sort if all over the place and I feel you get better strikes( kind of simulates a wounded minnow)

Before packaging, you may wish to take the time to remove the "fluff" from the base of each feather. This will remove volume and make it much easier to sort your feathers and to find exactly what

you need...

i do this with most feathers. it's a great way to kill time in front of the tv, and gives me feather ready to use when they are needed.

I usually do but have a dry fly pattern that use's the fluff as the body. My biggest thing when they come in is getting them cleaned and dried - I can sit in front of the TV and trim them and then when I go to tie they're all set. Or if I'm going to dye them they're set too.