Fly Tying

I saw some new fly boxes yesterday made by a company called tacky. They are on the slim side and use silicone rather than foam. Does anybody have any experience with them?

I bought a couple in both the large and small sizes a few months ago. I like them. They are very well made and the silicone is much harder and denser than foam, that's for sure. The magnetic closures are strong. The holes/slits are staggered on every other row which I like, too. They are on the heavy side, though.

Joe

Think cheech from here is some way involved with them I think.

I guess we'll only know in 3 yrs or so how well this material holds up compared to traditional foam from the likes of C&F

just picked on up and i really like the offset rows, it's a simple idea but makes it much easier to use. My only concern is what kind of silicone they used. UV can degrade silicone depending on what chemical composition they used.

I googled them to see what they look like. Only two sizes, clear plastic box, blue silicone. Looks like it would be easy to make... plastic box and a tube of silastic or silicone sealer. Worth a try. PS I didn't think to get the price because I'm looking for a larger box.

Piker.... silicone tub sealer holds up a long time, but of course that's not out in the sun.

And its not being flexed over and over like the holes are for hooks to go in. I have C&F boxes that work well for the size they recommend. Several cheaper brands have been left less secure as the foam remembers.

I recently bought a large tacky box and I can't speak to its durability but the boxes are only for small flies. There is no clearance and no room for anything with a hackle collar or an upright wing. It's basically a nymph or midge box. With that being said the silicone does hold a fly really securely, but that is all it has going for it. In my opinion pretty much any fly box can store nymphs and for $25 it should be able to do more than that. It's a good idea but it's not there yet, for me.

whats the big deal with these "tacky" fly boxes and why would somebody switch from perfectly usable c & f fly boxes that hold flies securely?

i've been waiting for a review of these. for those of us that use C&F boxes, i think few of us would change over.

having said that, i see this new design gaining a foothold in the fly box market.

I have 4 of the larger boxes. Unlike the foam boxes the silicone does not retain an indentation from the hook. It returns to the original shape. It also holds tiny flies securely in place. The Tacky fly boxes normally run 24.95 for the larger box and 19.95 for the smaller box. I bought mine from Orvis with a $25 off a $50 purchase. So, 2 boxes and a 1.50 fly cost me around $27 and change with tax. I have been keeping mine in a waist/chest pack along with my Umpqua fly boxes. Two Tacky boxes are thinner than 1 Umpqua box. Will every like these boxes? I doubt it, just like some people will never buy the Abel hemostats or nippers. Some people will like these boxes as I do so give them a try if you like.

Thanks for the input! I think what got me interested was the thin profile and the claim that the silicone doesn't stretch out like foam does.

I like that theres always something new, but do we really need a new fly box that costs $25? just to stick your flies in??? I dunno. IMO my flies are fine at home in the box I have that cost me $10 rather than a fly box made in China that some magazine tells me I need. Just my opinion though. Then again, if I was as much a money grubber I'd sell the rods I sell for $100 for twice that cost like everyone else. Whatever though to each his own.

I like that theres always something new, but do we really need a new fly box that costs $25? just to stick your flies in??? I dunno. IMO my flies are fine at home in the box I have that cost me $10 rather than a fly box made in China that some magazine tells me I need. Just my opinion though. Then again, if I was as much a money grubber I'd sell the rods I sell for $100 for twice that cost like everyone else. Whatever though to each his own.

remember when C&F first released the first slit foam boxes? this is just as revolutionary. call me a sucker, but i love my C&F boxes. even today, one will still pay through the nose for one. i for one, will now buy the knock-off boxes at half the price.

a comparison to a $10 box is unfair. do they both do the job; absolutely. does one do it better? that becomes subjective. the same could be said for nippers and other gear.

the China comment makes very little sense, unless you could provide links to North American manufactured boxes. i get the whole buy from home argument, but it holds very little water when we get 95% of our goods from offshore manufactures.