Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytyerinpa

Fly Reels

Hoping I can get some help on this one, I'm looking for a new fly reel I talked to a guy who only uses Scientific Angler System 6 he has a couple and says its a life time reel and has a fantastic drag and if it does wear out they will fix it free. My problem is I cant afford a reel like that, but I have found a Scientific Angler System 2 . Can anybody tell me the difference between a 6 and a 2 ? How about the drag does it have one and how does it work ? and over all what's your thoughts on a system 2 verses a 6 Thanks for any info you can supply me with ?

I'll jump in here without a lot of knowledge on Sys 6s, which used to be made by Hardy in England, which guarantees they'll be higher in price. I do own a 2, size 6/7, which was also made in England although I don't know if by Hardy, and it's adequate for the fish I catch. I can't remember using the drag so can't dismiss it or recommend it. It's a steel disc like a big washer and pretty simple in concept. The 2 has a plastic gear in it, but I don't know if the 6 has or not. Which is to say it probably won't be a treasured heirloom to pass down to your grandkids, but will likely do just fine in the immediate future.

II seldom put a fish on the reel anyway so drag isn't an issue like I used to think (and hope) and have gravited away from disc drag reels to clickers and they do just fine. So to answer your question, sort of, unless you're wrenching out a whole lot bigger fish out of the water than I catch, about any reel should do you fine. If you're fishing for steelhead or salmon, that's another reel issue....I guess. (Never fished for those mega-trout.) So I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I used to a lot more than I do now.

My favorite real is the Hardy Marquis/SA reels. I've had my SA System 6 since 1974 and it's still going strong. It's a well-designed simple click and pawl reel with an exposed rim for palming. One could pick one up in great condition for under $100 10-15 years ago, but most I see these days in very good condition are closer to $150-175. Every once in awhile a good deal comes up. I'll keep an eye out for you.

The System 6 is click and pawl. Another very well built reel that is also all metal click and pawl is the Orvis Battenkill series, though a little heavier. You can get one for around $100 brand new ( depends on line weight give or take a few bucks). It has no disk drag in it but the pawls and intersecting ring are all metal with a tension adjustment. I own two of them, one in the 3/4 line weight range and one in the 5/6 line weight range. Half the cost is built into the spools so $50 or so is the going price for spare spools.

Okuma makes some very smooth running disk drag reels for inexpensive prices. I've been tempted by these but have not yet bought one. I do have one of their spinning reels that is very well made.

The Redington AL series has a pretty good drag system , smooth, not too over priced last I knew ( if they still make it). Built like a tank, I own one in 7/8 size that I use on my 8 weight T&T. But if you want a light weight reel look to graphite and don't look to a Redington AL !.

I do not like plastic pawls or plastic click system reels. Just gears isn't so bad, I've seen what I believe was a System 2 with plastic gears go fishing, trip after trip ( my stepson I'm pretty sure owns one). Just don't buy a reel with a plastic pawl system in it, it will need repair or replacement long before and maybe several times in one lifetime. !

Couple of examples from Bass Pro Shops.

White River Hobbs Creek

$49.95

You can go on their site and order these, and about a dozen others for less than $100.00.

You can also read all about the drags (unnecessary for most fly anglers who bring fish in by handling the line) and reel specs, usually with pictures.

I am TOTALLY satisfied with every reel I've bought from them, fly and bait caster styles.

Somebody on this forum mentioned a $25 reel just a few months ago so I looked it up and sent for one. It actually seems to be a great reel and probably in the Okuma class. I doubt that It is backed up by a fantastic service and parts availability but for the money who cares. The drag seems to be good so I loaded it up with a 7wt line and backing and intend to use it for carp. I think it will work out fine. I just dug out the reel to check for a name but there is no identification anywhere. Even under close examination the reel looks good. Maybe the original poster will pipe up.....Mike is absolutely correct....Most fresh water fish require no drag and a click pawl reel is more than needed.

All of the early series SA reels were made by Hardy. I have one of the first ever models and it is Hardy made and was in the $100 range 40 years ago. This was when 3M first bought them. They are good reels but I doubt they will last any longer than the $15 Medalists of the same era. A little prettier maybe but I would rather have a Medalist to rely on and the Medalist is more quiet. The clicker on the SA scares off the carp where the medalist does not.

Ditz ... I just can't go with the click pawl. I know it's only when I pull line off the reel, but that buzz goes right to my bones. Give me a silent drag system ... just for that reason.

And no, I can't switch the click off while pulling line ... then it over spools.

Friend of mine went to the factory in England start of the year, pure fishing sent a group of salesmen there, lucky _ _ _ _! Came back with a new Doutches reel! Not even here yet! Lucky _ _ _ _!

Scientific Anglers has used the "System" name for several different lines of reels.

I think the original System reels were the same as the Hardy Marquis. The number on these indicated the size. This is probably the System 6 refered to.

The System 2 and System 2 light, were caliper disc drag reels and had an additional number to indicate the suggested line weight, 5/6 for example. I owned several of these and they were pretty much bomb proof.

A little more pricey than $25 but the Waterworks Lamson Liquid reels are a pretty solid choice for $100. I have a reel and extra spools lined up for my 7-11wt setups with everything from floating to sinking lines to fish for big trout to big musky and/or inshore saltwater fishing

Jaydub.....I believe that you are correct about the original system reels. I bought the largest of the series and it was the first reel that I owned that that had an exposed spool rim......It is called a system 11.