Fly Tying
flyguy613

first try - zug bug

Here is my first try at the zug bug - size 14

First fly fishing trip ever tomorrow, cant wait to see which fly is taken first if any... pheasant tail, hares ear, prince nymph, zug, stonefly?

Glad that any fish caught will be caught on one of my own flies, alot of work went into them.

post-55702-0-54673300-1430960970_thumb.jpg

post-55702-0-49650700-1430961000_thumb.jpg

Not bad flyguy. My only comments would be the tail is a little too long and heavy and the ribbing could be more even. Nothing major and the tail size is something of a matter of taste, not a specific requirement.

Steve

Nice job. I agree that a sparser, shorter tail would be the typical tie, but you put together one great looking fly. A bit damselfly-like.

Hope your first outing was a blast.

Nice fly and will certainly pick up fish. I agree on the tail length but then again I really doubt the fish care.

I'm tying some tonight and targeting stocked trout tomorrow morning. This will be my first trip to the river since I started fly fishing as a newbie. Your's look great and will catch fish! Once I get a fly photo setup here I'll post some pix to get a critique or ten too. Nice work! I've heard the tail should be the hook gap in length so I aim for that (FWIW). And darn, I don't have silver tinsel yet so I'm tying them with gold. Will I do time for that (?)...yes...on the river. smile.png

and this may just be me, but the hook looks like a standard length, I'm to the point now where I tie most of my nymphs w/2 or 3x long hooks. Especially on zugs and princes, but this is just personal preference

I like the tail length.

I would try a little longer hook so the wing case isn't so far back on the body.

im partial to this fly, I like it behind a small streamer, on the rare occasion im fishing for smaller trout not steelhead

If I were a fish, I would eat it. I'm a newbie (as you can see by the post I made with pics of my first attempts), anyway, I really don't think the fish is going to see your fly and think, "Uh oh, the butt is too big on that one! I ain't gonna eat that!"

My money is on you catching fish with it!

Hope you get a big one!

Here's a follow-up from May 2015. One of the zug bugs I tied did get me my first trout on a fly rod that next day as a newb. But to be honest, yours looks better than mine did "before" mine got hit. So if the fish don't bite it, there must not be fish where you're fishing it. Great pattern! smile.png