Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Dimbat

knotting legs

Does anybody know of a video on how to knot turkey, goose, or pheasant feathers for legs on hoppers, or any other fly that calls for them.

After you've knotted a dozen you will see why its so much better value to buy the stems ready knotted. Here in UK its about £5 for a stem full of knotted legs.

Doing them yourself is one of those things, you either find it theraputic sitting in the lounge while wife watches crap on tele and you spend 3 hours tying 50 legs, or you buy them done and spend the time tying/fishing

There is a secret to doing them. I may get in trouble for this but... The secret is to put the stem of the feather in your vice. Once the feather is held you have both hands free to make the knots. You can use a hook to make the knots, but far better is a pair of fine pointed tweezers. They give greater precision in placing the knots.

Colin, where do you get a full stem for £5? Over 10 years ago Veniards packs of about 20 to 30 fibres sold for £3:50+

That's me in trouble.

Cheers,

C.

If you really want to impress the lady fish ... tie the knot with your tongue. I can do it with a cherry stem, never tried it with a feather barb.