Fly Tying
cheech

UV Resin Shootout

All of this nm talk is WAAAAAAY blown out of proportion. 99% of the tyers using UV resin don't care what the scientific process is as long as the light cures the resin.

that is why i've asked if you have included a nail salon light in you test.

Nope... I was going to, but then I realized that they are more expensive than a light that I found on Amazon (this light cures ALL resins in 5 seconds.) On a side note... The Lina resin is performing just as well as most of the CCG products. I just HATE brush on applicators.

Lol, l agree cheech. If my batteries are good and the button works, good to go baby.

Bingo... I don't even know what a nanometer is.

Out of curiosity do you have access to a $1k - $10k microscope? I'm thinking most do not.

Work in a company making 40k+ microscopes. ;-)

do they cure uv resins?

I take all my UV flies to a faith UV healer, and he cures them. smile.png

Jerk! Just about wrecked my keyboard with a mouthful of sweet tea! :)

J

Wow. All I want to know is what resin and curing light to buy.

To each his own. If people want to talk science that's fine with me. Science is what created all of this stuff and is important.

I just HATE brush on applicators.

Hah! I just realized why I hate my new Loctite Brush On Super Glue. Brushes suck for most tying applications.

I've cut it down to a few fibers, but the brush is still clumsy. I'll replace with a pin like I've always done with Sally's.

Awesome thread cheech, thanks for all the work your putting into this. Excited to see how things come out. Really liked your hackle comparison

Out of curiosity do you have access to a $1k - $10k microscope? I'm thinking most do not.

Work in a company making 40k+ microscopes. ;-)

do they cure uv resins?

The 365 and 405 nm excitation LED lights do.

I do have some glue that do not cure in the typical 405 nm that all the violet LED lamps are around. However when using a high powered 365nm light, it cures perfect. (Typically this resin is used for assembling layered glass for e.g. glasses)

The 405nm is typically termed violet, where the 365nm is termed UV.

It is save to say, that the so called UV resins we use, typically is Violet cured, but who can sell something that's not ULTRA these days? ;-)

Looking forward to see the rest of the test.

Since humans cannot see below 390 nm, how do you tell when the 365 nm light is on?

Also, most of the lights that we are using to cure resin have a broad range of nm. If we were strictly using a light that put out a consistent level of nm, we'd be paying a LOT of money for our lights. It's likely that our lights are putting out a fair bit of violet AND ultra violet light. Long story short... There aren't too many lights on the market that won't cure resin - it's just that some cure it faster than others.

That's my point.

To see the light it has to be emitting in the 400 nm range so a 365 nm light is not really a "365 nm" light. If it is visible at all it could also be called a 400 nm light. Ultraviolet is technically below 400 nm, so humans can see into the (upper) UV A range, 390-400 nm.

If I understand the results so far, it's that all lights will cure UV resin. Some may take four or five seconds longer than others. Is this correct? Some resin cures without tack, some do not. I guess basically they all work. Mine dries a bit tacky, but a coat of SHAN takes care of it.

From what i can surmise from this thread is UV light cures all types of uv epoxys. it doesnt matter how much wattage except for time to cure. which makes sense to me and frankly, saves me money because i was getting ready to buy a light at (what i felt) was a ridiculous price. I guess ill just keep the light that came with my Loon products and not worry about the time to cure.

Nice Job Cheech !!

From what i can surmise from this thread is UV light cures all types of uv epoxys. it doesnt matter how much wattage except for time to cure. which makes sense to me and frankly, saves me money because i was getting ready to buy a light at (what i felt) was a ridiculous price. I guess ill just keep the light that came with my Loon products and not worry about the time to cure.

Nice Job Cheech !!

I just got a cheap light from Amazon, and a quick test on CCG Hydro last night worked well. My CCG light broke, and I don't have the money to spend on a $35+ UV light.