Fly Tying
Li'lDave

October Flies from the Bench

Just experimenting with materials and color.Olive Tinsel over Olive Brown D-Rib, tungsten copper bead.

Kimo

Always spectacular, Kimo, you always impress!!! BEAUTIFUL!!

Thanks Roque and Ray!

Kimo

Thouse you can find the video on flycarpin.com

Yup, that's the video I followed. The fly works really well, just make sure you use the right materials as getting the tail to float and move perfectly is actually a bit difficult. I also found it necessary to use a tungsten bead behind the hook eye to help balance out better. Definitely use a brass bead on the end of the tail though or it won't move properly.

Here's one from yesterday...PIVoDNM.jpg

Beautiful fish; beautiful country.

http://www.flycarpin.com is a nice website; thanks for posting it. Nice fish; where are you, Colorado? I realize it ain't Texas. I'm in Crested Butte a lot and have been for years.

Ray

Red tinsel on red quill with black tungsten bead.12132501_10153019420732003_6084348264207

Kimo

Kimo,

What size hook are these tied on? They are spectacular, or have I said that already! :)

Ray

Red tinsel on red quill with black tungsten bead.

Kimo

Kimo,

What size hook are these tied on? They are spectacular, or have I said that already! smile.png

Ray

Hi Ray,

It is tied on a TMC 2302 size 16.

Here's another. Working on adding "soft" features to midges.

12052607_10153033719892003_5970168878633

Kimo

What kind/brand of fly box is this, or is it homemade? I'd like to have one or some of those.

Thanks!!

Ray

Simms Foam Fly Box

Some dry foams coming off the bench tonight, simple and fun.

Nice looking flies Rogue! You've got quite the knack for creative photography to boot.

Dan,

What brand of eyes are those? They are beautiful, and that fly ain't bad either. I really like that!!

I could have done well on the Brazos a week ago Sunday with 2 or 3 of those. At the time, it was running 78 cfs with lots of fish; Friday and Saturday here, it rained ~12 to 15 inches, and the Brazos was up to ~30,000 cfs. Big change in a week, but the fish will be there when its down, so I'll learn to tie these little beauties.

Also, what size hook did you use for this one?

Thanks!!!

Ray

post-7246-0-90302200-1445876446_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys. I believe the original pattern was created by a dude named Kern Leo Lund. I am just reinventing the wheel here....just using different materials....here is the breakdown:

Hook: #4 Partridge Attitude Extra

Hackle: Grizzly from Whiting's Bugger Pack

Gills/Blood: Deer Creek Mega Laser Dub - red (a bit different then standard Laser dub)

Body/Head: Bruiser Blend JR in White from Fly Fish Food

Eyes: Hareline "Mirage Dome Eyes" 1/4" --- They change colors depending on the angle you look at them....pretty cool stuff.

UV Resin the eyes to the hook/front of head - Use thin as a base so the thick has somthing to hold onto. Then use thick to build up the gap. I use Deer Creek, but any brand will do fine. I also hit it with some sally hansens at the end to make it super glossy and hard as a rock.

Glad you like it.