Fly Tying
cnc

The tying corner

Its ok Mike I actually got it for an incredible price $200. Its 5ft wide and she needed two desks with shelving in the room in her new house.

Joseph,

beauty! what a pleasure it will be you you to tie there.

Tom

I cant wait to tie on it. I went from a 26" wide desk to this one at 60"

Ok guys, so I scored a beautiful roll top desk today to replace my small desk. Its solid Oak and Oak burl with a marble inlay. Its around 70 years old, the kicker? I bought it from a former state congress woman! I didnt know until I got to her house.

desk%202.jpg

desk%201.jpg

I want one of those please ......

I know what you mean retro, I almost didnt go look at it. Her pictures were terrible I thought it was laminate over wood. My wife made me skip fishing and look at it, man im glad she did!!

joseph do you feel guilty for taking advantage of that old lady??? LOL Beautiful desk indeed!!!! What a score. I managed to find me a nice oak roll top desk about 2 weeks ago on Craiglist. The sellers were a retired couple that were down sizing. They originally want $500 for the desk but after 8 days of having it listed on Craiglist and only had one call on it they took my offer of $200. Its a nice desk with lots of drawers and I have places to put things now. My old desk was made from 2X4s and sheet of plywood for the top. Once I get it cleanup and organized better I will post a picture of it. You definitely found a quality piece of furniture there. A great find....

I read back in the post and saw the thread where you purchased it for $200! WOW you made a hell of deal on that find!!!!

That is a very nice roll top. Roll tops are a dime a dozen but rarely do you see a used one with burl insets in that condition. I would have thought a congresswomen would have used it more. It looks to be in perfect condition. Nice find for a decent price.

Thank you guys, it does have a few battle scars but only a few which I like, unfortunately no key and it has three old brass locks. I think I will have a key made, no way am I replacing them. The wear and tear is where you would expect it. On the sides of the center where the chair goes and bottom of center draw. What saves this desk is the marble inlay in the center to wright on so no indents in wood.

I will probably make a leather desk pad to protect it all, now I need a vintage leather desk chair and coasters!!

The sad part in the whole thing is I met with her and her husband and talked for a while. Gave her a deposit, they had things to do so I left and came back later with my father to pick it up. He went inside then immediately came back out and said "do you know whos desk you just bought" I replied saying yes the lady insides lol he then told me who she was I felt like a ass she's only my state representative up untill a year ago lmao

Politicians put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us....LOL...

Politicians put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us....LOL...

Super nice people, she actually retired because of the bs that comes along with it, she founded a fund that helps women obtain political offices. Anyway, I will hopefully be tying here shortly now that ive got my old desk empty

Out of curiosity, who was it (if you don't mind)? I had contact with a few of them in my work career.

Given the provenance of that desk, it would be a good idea to get some kind of documentation to keep in it. Might not matter to you but your offspring or their offspring might be surprised that it has antique value some day.

Joseph

I have a mahogany printers roll top from the 1920's that I tye on but not as nice as yours. What you have is an heirloom. You should have a piece of glass cut for the top so you don't damage it.

Out of curiosity, who was it (if you don't mind)? I had contact with a few of them in my work career.

Given the provenance of that desk, it would be a good idea to get some kind of documentation to keep in it. Might not matter to you but your offspring or their offspring might be surprised that it has antique value some day.

it was Ginny Brown-waite.

Joseph

I have a mahogany printers roll top from the 1920's that I tye on but not as nice as yours. What you have is an heirloom. You should have a piece of glass cut for the top so you don't damage it.

that's a great idea, I was going to make a leather desk pad but the glass may be a better route.