Fly Tying
vicrider

Monthly swap begin or end? Pics of past year

Yes there was a screw up vic! I only commented on how good Craklebacks fly looks! It's just not possible for me to join a montly swap from the other side of the world! Sorry for any confusion my post may have caused!

Whoops, slight screw up here. I'll get you guys listed in the right place. Let's hope we get that nice dozen again I'll edit this post later with flies for the month. No deadline which won't work but let's get the fly of the month in that month. I'll probably move a couple I like up a month so flies like the orange can be fished on Halloween. Otherwise...

January...Your choice of fly you like for your choice of fish you like. Remember there is great crossover and fish are fish so almost any of your favorites could be used anywhere, even in my bass/catfish/crappie/bream/sand bass/hybrid/striper/warmouth/carp waters.

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December..........Get ready for a great Christmas swap again

So, are going ahead with a swap for January?

Yep, January is whatever you like to tie for whatever you fish for. Said that in first post but should have added it that one.

I'm going to sit out this year. I've been in the entire five years the swap club has been running and could use a break from it.

-Mike

i think i want in if there is room but it seems a little sketchy on when the monthly flies are due. i hate waiting :)

flytire, you know I'd love (we'd love) to have the quality of your flies in the swap. Here's the thing with the due dates. People tend to miss them. Last year I wanted to try have the flies by the 21st of the month so to have them returned within the month. Didn't work after two months. I think (bad habit) that you might be retired. Those still raising kids and working for a living can get seriously caught up in home deadlines that surpass fly needs. This year I want all flies in by the end of the month and I'll get them turned around quickly. How bad can it get? I'm just sending the November flies today because I kept waiting for a last set and gave up. He's not in this year anyway.

So, flies by end of month, I'll turn them around quickly, there's one spot left and we'd love to have ya' fill it.

Nick

yes i'm retired but i still like to stick to schedules :)

since you say you're now getting the November flies out i think i'll pass on this swap

EastTN man, you're in with the last spot. Tie up a dozen of your finest favorites and send 'em my way. Addy and instructions are in first post but go up to the top and read some of the rules up there. Don't forget toe tags.

Don't know where you're at in TN but did a lot of fishing in NE TN on reservoirs for stripers and bass. Did some river fishing but mainly for smallmouth, stripers and carp. Wife worked a year near Kingsport and I'd get fishing in every time I went down for conjugal visits.

EastTN man, you're in with the last spot. Tie up a dozen of your finest favorites and send 'em my way. Addy and instructions are in first post but go up to the top and read some of the rules up there. Don't forget toe tags.

Don't know where you're at in TN but did a lot of fishing in NE TN on reservoirs for stripers and bass. Did some river fishing but mainly for smallmouth, stripers and carp. Wife worked a year near Kingsport and I'd get fishing in every time I went down for conjugal visits.

I'm assuming the stripers were Hybrids.... I would love to see a pic or two.

Sweet, I'll get to tying! I work in Knoxville and recently moved just a little ways west to a town called Kingston right in some good bass water. I learned to fly fish targeting trout and now bass (and hopefully their flies) are next on my proficiency last. It's a good hike from Kingsport so I can't say I've fished those waters yet. But it's because I'm blessed with the Clinch and the Smokies in my backyard! The South Holston is in my hit list this spring though.

TNman, if memory serves me correct there is a dam at Fort Loudoun that we fished a couple of times for stripers right below the dam. I looked it up and thought where we fish was a dam closer to Knoxville but that was a lot of years ago and I just rode with a good old boy who took me fishing when I was down visiting the wife. I do know when the dams were generating we'd toss lines out with shad or reapers and hook fish we'd land what seemed like a mile downstream in the current from generation. Before generation we'd throw small twisters off to the side of the current in the big side pond and catch skipjack. I sure wish I'd have had fly gear for those. An 18-20" fish would jump a dozen times before you'd get it in. Never saw a fish jump as much as those did. Some good old boys waiting for the generation came over and asked if we'd saved them a few since we were throwing them back. Said they'd use them later for cut bait for catfish.

I loved that country but wife's company got bought out just before I sold house in MN and I went down and moved her and kids back just before I quit my job. Would have made great retirement country but she has a pile of relatives over here where we moved so that was a big factor. We have grandkids in Gate City VA and try to get there for visit once a year or so but they spend summers here with son. Maybe you learn where we can do smallies and trout on all that area water and I'll have to stop in and visit a spell coming or going, depending on if we're hauling down or back.