Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BattenkillBum

UTC fail

Danville 70 fixed all my problems.

I wasn't sure Danville made 70, I use their 6/0, it has it's own issues but I do use some of it. I guess 6/0 in their line is 70 denier anyway though.

In order to make life easier for tyers, they ditched the xx/0 system for a denier system. Their 70 denier is the same as the old 6/0.

Oh,guess the web sites haven't caught up or caught on what ever the case may be. .

Had that problem with 2 spools of UTC 70 tan (bought at different times/places). I love their 140 but have gotten away from the finer thread - too flossy for me; using Danville 6/0 and MFC 8/0 instead.

Regards,

Scott

Happened to me with uni 8/0 black & also sheer 14/0 black, turned out to be all the black spools in the shop in uni 8/0 or sheer 14/0! All the other colours i have from sheer are perfect! I'm a veevus fan these days!

same thing I'm dealing with right now on a spool of mine, coincidentally it is also red. The looseness has nothing to do with the way you are tying. The spool of mine which is screwed up is loose all on one end of the spool. It's so bad I had to cut out the loose winds which were getting caught on my bobbin. So far so good but next chance I get I'm buying some red danville and chucking this spool. Yes thread is cheap, but I don't need to put up with this aggravation. I've tied with Danville since about 1981 or so, and have not had any problems.

If happens with all the brands. Spools are filled in under a minute on an automated highspeed machine at the factory. No need to change brands unless you don't like the tread and want to try something else. Thread is cheep. I would just pull off a bunch and see if it gets better. If not, toss it and use another spool. I blow through dozens of boxes of thread a year and I would not worry about it.

Had that problem with 2 spools of UTC 70 tan (bought at different times/places). I love their 140 but have gotten away from the finer thread - too flossy for me; using Danville 6/0 and MFC 8/0 instead.

Regards,

Scott

Exactly, I have a problem with my tan color, too.

Ive never experienced this unspooling with uni, danvilles or veevus threads so for me it doesn't happen with all brands

Ive never experienced this unspooling with uni, danvilles or veevus threads so for me it doesn't happen with all brands

Yup exactly.... for me it is strictly a UTC problem.....

If happens with all the brands. Spools are filled in under a minute on an automated highspeed machine at the factory. No need to change brands unless you don't like the tread and want to try something else. Thread is cheep. I would just pull off a bunch and see if it gets better. If not, toss it and use another spool. I blow through dozens of boxes of thread a year and I would not worry about it.

When you pull a bunch off the spool it makes it worse.

When you pull a bunch off the spool it makes it worse.

Yup

I've had this happen, but without any semblance of rhyme or reason with respect to brand, weight, bonding, or color. Usually I ignore it until it binds, then delicately snip the binding thread and discard the balance that was downstream of that cut.

That being said, I'm surprised folks like Veevus.

Maybe my two spools were bad batches (scientifically, it's not a broad selection set, but I'm not about to bankroll a truly exhaustive set of thread that is 0 for 2). Both (black 10/0 and an olive/gray 16/0 are the most break-prone thread I've ever used. No fraying, no warning, no consistency...just normal tying duty and ping!, my thread snapped. Happened on everything from clousers (which tend to require more tension, odd angles, etc.) to buggers and nymphs (which whould present no break issues to even an average thread), to dries.

A buddy of mine swears by Veevus, and has slowly converted his entire thread inventory to their stuff...personally, I can't wait to use up the rest of this and be done with the brand.

Man that is strange! I have been using veevus for a couple years and it is INCREDIBLY strong for its diameter. I wonder if the thread you bought was stored with an incompatible solvent or something. I'd bring it back! I can only remember 3-4 breaks,TOTAL and those were from repeated point nicks on small flies with 16/0 (read: my fault.) I have 2xl hands and before veevus I would regularly break UTC, UNI and danville in the small sizes, Today I was using 16/0 veevus for cdc and elk patterns and switched to some tan 6/0 danville I need to use up, and that 6/0 breaks WAY easier than veevus 16/0.

Man that is strange! I have been using veevus for a couple years and it is INCREDIBLY strong for its diameter. I wonder if the thread you bought was stored with an incompatible solvent or something. I'd bring it back! I can only remember 3-4 breaks,TOTAL and those were from repeated point nicks on small flies with 16/0 (read: my fault.) I have 2xl hands and before veevus I would regularly break UTC, UNI and danville in the small sizes, Today I was using 16/0 veevus for cdc and elk patterns and switched to some tan 6/0 danville I need to use up, and that 6/0 breaks WAY easier than veevus 16/0.

That's more or less my buddy's reaction any time thread becomes a topic between us.

He also suggested a return/exchange (as well as just sending it to him), but really, it's two spools of thread. Not a huge deal. I'll deal with them until they're gone (the black one is aaaaalmost used up), and never give them a second...er...third thought. Might try them again in a few years, but at this point, it's in much the same situation as craft beer brands that have sold out: I don't necessarily hate them, and it's not an active, intentional boycott...there's just too many other options out there that haven't let me down to send another dime to one that has.