Fly Tying
MuskyFlyGuy

Need help with pattern design

Rattle traps run fairly deep, my bet ? She is out fishing you not just because of the Rattle Trap but that the Rattle trap is in the zone where fish want it. Your job is to figure out if you need full sink line and what rate or intermediate line and what weight for your rod. Many different offerings will then work once you get in the zone where the fish are.

But indeed a Rattle Trap in a good bass pond fished just over vegetation is a formidable foe ! So much more goes on down there than on the surface but fly fishing the surface is way more enjoyable.

4' - 5' Hollow Fleye or Blukhead Deceiver on a sinking line. You can match the profile of the rattle trap. Just vary the taper and put more bucktail on the sides. If you want a rattle, hang it off the back of the hook in EZ Body and then tie in the tail. You don't need weight for this because your line will get you down.

No fly on the whole entire planet can do what a lipless crankbait can do. They can be fished fast or slow, deep or shallow, and the action and noise is entirely impossible with a fly. I'd say the best way to match it is to grab a baitcaster and tie one on. That's what I do.

No fly on the whole entire planet can do what a lipless crankbait can do. They can be fished fast or slow, deep or shallow, and the action and noise is entirely impossible with a fly. I'd say the best way to match it is to grab a baitcaster and tie one on. That's what I do.

I am almost positive I can do this but I'm not sure how practical it would be to fish. I've got a few other things on my plate but I'll give it a shot soon. I do agree with you, though...it would be easiest to use a baitcaster and use the original.

I am almost positive I can do this but I'm not sure how practical it would be to fish. I've got a few other things on my plate but I'll give it a shot soon. I do agree with you, though...it would be easiest to use a baitcaster and use the original.

It would be cool to see a deer hair rattle trap!

Just tell her one fish caught on a fly is better then a hundred caught on those stupid lures & stupid rods!

How sad for you, to be so closed minded.

If the vision of it in my head works it would be just that, but without a rattle. I don't think I'd have room for it. But I'm pretty confident I could get the tight vibrating wiggle.

Take that stupid lure that people run to when it's to windy, or to this, or to that, to go fly fishing! Find the shortest shank you can, atach it to the front, start your thread, make a dubbing loop, put enough flashabou to spin a flash hackle big enough to cover that stupid lure & never show her what is underneath that flashabou fly!

If the vision of it in my head works it would be just that, but without a rattle. I don't think I'd have room for it. But I'm pretty confident I could get the tight vibrating wiggle.

I'm telling you, you don't need wiggle, you don't need rattles, you need to hit the zone. Put a big ugly weighted peacock and grizzly and black woolly bugger down there. There is a pond here with a trough full of small mouth in it. On the right drift and #3 or #4 full sink line you can drift right through there picking up fish after fish. On the right wind you can drift down the length of the trough and do even better. Bass are dumb, try it. I've used that fly here and 400 miles north of here in Maine with similar results. 11 or so ft of water over weeds and or structure and set up a drift. Period, done deal.

A deer hair bug won't work... The factors that make this lure so effective are 1- It rattles (LOUDLY). No biggie right? We tie flies with rattles all the time. 2- It sinks really really fast. Sure you could shape a lipless crank out of deer hair, but goo luck getting it to sink like the lure.

If I were you... Instead of trying to make an exact copy of the lure, I'd do some research as to why the fish are eating it. Are they feeding on migrating baitfish? Are they taking it as a craw? It it being ripped through grass? Is it being bumped on rocks and branches? Once you have these questions answered you can focus on getting a fly to where the fish are. I'd start with a very fast sinking line (type 5 to7) and either a Bellyscratcher Minnow or El Crawcito.

Dave, I have to disagree somewhat about not needing wiggle, if the water quality is poor where he is fishing the wiggle along with the rattle is giving the fish a way of finding it through vibration, its also movement that catches there eye, these lures are also usually very shinny to go with the movement, bass are not dumb just aggressive, that changes with age how many 5lb plus bass have you caught? They get smart quick lol. You are definitely right about finding the zone they are holding in, alot of times bass will suspend around structure or a drop off,

I'd like to know what flies he tried while she was out fishing him.

Creech, you could probably get it to sink pretty quick wrapping the shank in lead and maybe lead eyes. Although rattle traps are usually 1/2oz plus. Most likely when they are eating it its out of aggression that's not a subtle bait lol. But the part about bumping rocks or grass does make a big difference.

If the water is stained motion and sound wil help, with out a doubt. But the rattles I have seen for fly fishing may not created enough sound. Take a spent 22 long rifle casing. Add 3 BB's and epoxy the end shut. That should create enough commotion.

Dave, I have to disagree somewhat about not needing wiggle, if the water quality is poor where he is fishing the wiggle along with the rattle is giving the fish a way of finding it through vibration, its also movement that catches there eye, these lures are also usually very shinny to go with the movement, bass are not dumb just aggressive, that changes with age how many 5lb plus bass have you caught? They get smart quick lol. You are definitely right about finding the zone they are holding in, alot of times bass will suspend around structure or a drop off,

Creech, you could probably get it to sink pretty quick wrapping the shank in lead and maybe lead eyes. Although rattle traps are usually 1/2oz plus. Most likely when they are eating it its out of aggression that's not a subtle bait lol. But the part about bumping rocks or grass does make a big difference.

Lead = too light.

Cheech, you dont think wrapping the shank with say two rows of lead and using large dumbell eyes will get all that deer hair down? I put large lead eyes on a clouser they drop like a rock, I understand deer hair is buoyant but that much?

Rstaight, yep those little glass rattles dont do much at all.

That's fine Joe. Definitely the bigger fish are more wary of course. I didn't know the OP was looking for big fish.

A #5 sinking line goes down pretty fast ( too fast for the zone I'm thinking of actually), couple that with a weighted fly it should get into the zone pretty fast. Does rattle and glitter help at times ? Yes. But a big fly displaces water too. I've tossed my share of Rattle Traps, I said early on they are a formidable foe ! In a fairly clouded pond here sluggo's work well and they are pretty stream lined. They fish olive in cloudy green water, go figure.

We have multi stage ponds here. Big bass, the ones with shoulders LOL, chase real live perch and even trout ! The smaller fish are on the baby herring , the big bass are on the fish that are on the herring.