Fly Tying
deerhairdan

March Flies From The Bench

I'm ready. If only the weather would cooperate.12473793_10153308662102003_521322491567712719206_10153308662122003_7794447307559

Kimo

Nice box of fish getters kimo

Tied with the free road kill red fox tail this weekend. A buddy of mine found the dead animal on the side of the road a few weeks ago and snipped the tail for me. After salting it and cleaning it, this is what I came up with.

Some road kill streamers. Articulated using #2 and #1 Attitude Streamer hooks

-Road kill red fox tail

-palmer chenille on the back

-polar chenille on the front

-arctic fox tail for the head

post-54000-0-52002200-1459170174_thumb.jpg

Road kill mouse - 3/0 Predator X

-Road kill red fox tail

-Rabbit zonker tail

-Deer belly and foam for floatation

-Mouse Bitz - large

-Bruiser Blend JR head

- UV Resin/Sharpie eyes

post-54000-0-95252900-1459170180_thumb.jpg

Very nice ... everyone.

As March draws to a close this month ... the flies have been fantastic.

I hope everyone's ready for Friday ... April Fools on a Friday ... scary!

One hot summer night a Low Fat Minnow and Bicolored Bunny, after too many shots of tequila, got a little too close and cozy and spawned some a Bunny Minnow.

26066411806_e0cf2910ae.jpg

I have only seen one of these in my life, and it was huge. We didn't have these big flies where I learned to fly fish, and I had read about them, but until I saw one, I never thought about fishing or tying it. Unfortunately, I never encounter a fish-able hatch of these or any other Hexagenia mayflies. Most the the time the hatch is a mid-summer nighttime occurrence, and my trips to Michigan were always in the fall.

Fun to tie, even if I never fish it. This one is life size at 38 mm, and tied on a size 12 hook.

I have only seen one of these in my life, and it was huge. We didn't have these big flies where I learned to fly fish, and I had read about them, but until I saw one, I never thought about fishing or tying it. Unfortunately, I never encounter a fish-able hatch of these or any other Hexagenia mayflies. Most the the time the hatch is a mid-summer nighttime occurrence, and my trips to Michigan were always in the fall.

Fun to tie, even if I never fish it.

post-12074-0-36224600-1459202165_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-20160100-1459202190_thumb.jpg

Love that Hex. They are amazing bugs. I've fished a few hatches here (MA) and in MN, it's crazy to cast something that big :)

Tied up a larger "Permanent Eye Fly" for bass.

attachicon.gifDSC01970.JPG

Mike - I like it! Does it keep keel side down or fall over? If I messed up on a crease fly it always flopped over - fish didnt seem to care... I cant tell from your pic though if the foam is welded at the top or bottom... Sweet bass fly man (or anything that likes to eat little fish really).

Will

Tied up a larger "Permanent Eye Fly" for bass.

attachicon.gifDSC01970.JPG

Mike - I like it! Does it keep keel side down or fall over? If I messed up on a crease fly it always flopped over - fish didnt seem to care... I cant tell from your pic though if the foam is welded at the top or bottom... Sweet bass fly man (or anything that likes to eat little fish really).

Will

Thanks for the comment, Will.

I usually trim them a final time when I am on the water. If it is trimmed correctly, for me, it will sit with it's back just breaking the surface. If it twitched slowly, it will dive a little and "walk the dog". If it's pulled quickly, it will flip sideways and skim the surface. It's been a great "dying fish" pattern.