Fly Tying
trevinski

Shed hunting??

Every morning at the office around 9:30-10:00, after I've had half a travel mug of coffee I go looking for the shed...I don't think you want any pictures of that, though.

Shed ... shed hunting?

Like deer/elk/moose antler sheds or backyard equipment sheds or (Ugh, shiver) discounted ice fishing sheds???

Which one are YOU hunting for?

Mike in the Great White North it's a ice fishing shack not shed.

Sheds are antlers from deer, moose and elk. I have buddies that make pretty good money from buyers that sell them to Americans that mount them on heads so they can claim them as trophies they shot?

Farmers are more than happy to have these guys walk their fields because a deer antler puncturing a $5000 tire takes the profit out of farming.

IMG_20160225_165131670_zpsrjtr8wyz.jpg

IMG_20160225_184418909_zpswtbysfkp.jpg

IMG_20160225_184250661_zpstxlwpj9t.jpg

Not sure if it was first time luck this year or what but this was the first set I found out walking. Nice non typical muley. Super stoked on this guys tripple browtine. Just wish he hadn't broke his other side off.

I have a whole lot of shed in my comb. My cat also provides a lot of shed. Wonder how much I could get for that. :-)

Only been out once; no luck so far. It's good practice for mushrooms.

Yea I can't wait for the morels to start popping up. Last year was terrible for them here though. Hoping this year's better.

Cool shed. Nice find. Deer numbers here are low. First day of the season, I saw no deer. I did see 4 coyotes two of which I shot. Before anyone gets offended about the d... coyotes they do harass and sometime kill calves where I was hunting.

Some from 2 weeks ago. Going again Sunday but picking is pretty slim - not much snow and lots of people picking

post-54459-0-33693900-1457019899_thumb.jpg

Nice whitetails! I've been trying to find whitetail but am only coming up with muley antlers so far lol. The trees got hit pretty hard for the whitetail sheds though. And no snow makes it pretty easy.

Lack of snow brings out too many dudes! Shed hunting is pretty big up here and I'll generally start beginning of Feb, than again mid Feb, then early March. Those sheds are from my 200 acre farm and the person I rent to dosen't allow anyone on - too much past vandalizm. Sunday I'll walk a neighbours 50% wooded section, he has cattle in it but still lets me bowhunt there if I desire. Haven't picked it in a couple of years so hoping will be good. My property is 75% hay field though, the invaluable winter food plot!

Well I had a awesome night tonight. I've been looking for the match of this heavy 2 point muley for about a week now and finally found it tonight along with my first whitetail antlers this year. I was worried cause I saw a group of people in there tonight since it's public land.

Anyways Here's the one I found a couple weeks ago.

IMG_20160225_173144809_zpsftagjqz6.jpg

Here's the match on the far left. Prettttty stoked cause these are going to be my new set to rattle in with. Here's the whole hawl from tonight. Wish I would have found the whitetails last yr. When they were still brown lol oh well

IMG_20160303_184152624_zpsmpint2hw.jpg

I rarely watch "reality" TV shows, and never actually change a channel to find one ... but I do see one once in a while, usually while sitting in a hotel restaurant for dinner.

Anyway ... I saw 10 minutes of one about people living in Alaska. They were looking for antlers because they get large amounts of money for each one. I guess medical facilities use the material for various uses and it's a fairly rare commodity.

Here in Florida, hunting antlers would be ... difficult ... to put it mildly. Loblolly Pine forest don't shade the ground much, so the undergrowth is thick.

Between the swampy areas, the Palmetto stands, and the general abundant undergrowth, finding an antler would be akin to winning a daily pick lottery.