Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies from the vise

Dan, those top ones look great for smallmouth. Are they weighted at all? I could see them swimming just under the surface around dusk and being absolutely crushed.

Dan, those top ones look great for smallmouth. Are they weighted at all? I could see them swimming just under the surface around dusk and being absolutely crushed.

Thanks. I prefer unweighted streamers with a weighted line. I like intermediate for most water and full sink in faster water. I will add weight if there is a ton of material on the hook just to help it down a little, but these have very little material on them. The front hook is heavy enough to get it down once everything is wet. I need to order more colors and make some black/purple ones for night time bassin for sure.

POP%20CADDIS%20GRAY%202_zpsvcfjged9.jpg

POP CADDIS (Pearl, Opal, Poopah)Gray – Fox/Davies Variant- TMC 2302, #14 – #16…

AMBER%20WRAP%20CADDIS%20PUPAE_zpsllkiun5

AMBER WRAP CADDIS PUPAE – #16’s…

PT/TB

Size 10 seal buggers. I tend to mix up the colors of the seal using a dubbing brush as well as tie a hen collar in lieu of palmering hackle. Also hit the dubbing with a piece of velcro to get them real scruffy looking. I like them with an intermediate/slime line.

post-54877-0-26927200-1463096327_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-69975600-1463096335_thumb.jpg

post-54877-0-22315700-1463096342_thumb.jpg

Size 10 seal buggers. I tend to mix up the colors of the seal using a dubbing brush as well as tie a hen collar in lieu of palmering hackle. Also hit the dubbing with a piece of velcro to get them real scruffy looking. I like them with an intermediate/slime line.

You gotta love those buggers !!!!

Johnnyquahog, I get a kick out of your buggers. Just last night I was doing some reading on some Texas sites and they talked about the Guadalupana Fly or the Lady of the Guadalupe for fishing trout in the river of that name. They talked about people asking about that "big" fly they were getting fish on. Tracked down a S x S on the fly and basically it is what you've tied. There are always arguments about when you tie a fly different than the generally accepted pattern if you've really tied the pattern. The argument will carry on for a long time but if you want to confuse people just tell them you prefer the Guadalupana over the Bugger. The ONLY, and I mean only difference in yours and the G fly is that the G fly uses twisted peacock herl for the body. Copper wire is wound around the peacock same as yours for strength and hackle is tied in front soft hackle style instead of palmered.

So, very nice Guadalupana flies you've tied there. Go to TX and fish the river and you'll be right at home with the native rednecks.

vicrider - thanks, great that I can now associate a different name to the fly when I'm asked what I'm using. I'll google it. I tied a couple with the "krap" dubbing from the dungeon (his name, not mine) but decorated the trees with them. I'll be going to smaller flies soon but the pattern has done well with LMB and bluegills and several trout. One of a bunch from last evening.

rb_zpsnqsrw8xm.jpg

GRAPHIC%20CADDIS%20GRAY_zps8aitakzo.jpg

GRAPHIC CADDIS – Gray, John Barr/Variant – TMC 2499 BLB, #14 – #18…

POP%20CADDIS%20GRAY%20GRP_zpsumqlkcpy.jp

POP CADDIS (Pearl, Opal, Poopah) Gray # 16's...

PT/TB

WC OC

IMG_3685_zpsdifnilpg.jpg
IMG_3689_zpsfdvkwlyz.jpg
IMG_3700_zpsncvdfjuz.jpg
A Humpy/Trude variation; found this on the old Whiskey Creek site. Tied here as an October Caddis; easy enough to change colors/size to suit your needs.
hook - Mustad 94840 #8
thread - UTC 140 burnt orange
shuck/underwing - Congo Hair gold
abdomen - tying thread
shellback - deer hair
wing - deer hair
hackle - brown
Regards,
Scott