Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Rate my Clouser 3.0

then it follows that "if you can't tie an established pattern correctly, as defined by the originator, you shouldn't be doing it."

If that made any sense, then nobody (except Bob, of course) would ever tie another one again, thanks to the learning process, since their first one wouldn't be identical to Bob's due to not having the fine details down yet.

If someone wants to tie a Clouser Deep Minnow correctly, all the information is instantly available directly from the originator. AND, again, all the design elements of the style serve a purpose - from eye placement to hair quality to proportions - they were refined over lots of time on the water by the originator.

If that's how you feel, then once someone posts a link to the video, you might as well have STFU, since you have nothing of value to add. Yet here you are...

So then we are all safe if we vary the pattern and refer to it as a "variant"?

NO!

Honor and respect, man! Honor and respect!

The proper name for this one is "abomination on a hook that has been sacreligiously misidentified". ...and it's a poorly tied one at that!

So then we are all safe if we vary the pattern and refer to it as a "variant"?

Yeah, Fin. Pretty much, anything tied by the average tiers is a variant. Since it's rare to have ALL the original materials, you're relegated to nothing but variants. The other side of this coin is there are many who tie flies without referencing any pattern or video, etc. I tied my "Panfish Attractor" to ride hook up, so I could fish it in weeds. Only later did I find out it is very similar to a "Panfish Charlie".

Am I going to change the name of my fly ... no.

Do I care that someone else tied a fly like mine, before mine ... no.

Do I revere people who tied known patterns just because they were the first ones to do so ... no. I figure someone else would've done it later, or did a fly just like it before.

Well apparently if we don't misquote a misquoted quote of Socrates, we should STFU. Yet, here I am. Without a little honor and respect of what is worthy, we truly have nothing.

Yes, a variant of an established style or pattern. Not so difficult to comprehend, is it?

It is amazing that a fly which consists of nothing more than hook, thread, dumbell eyes, and bucktail causes so much endless discussion.

Go ahead, do what you want, call a mayfly a dragonfly, after all they are both insects. Call a Dodge Neon a Bugatti, after all they are both automobiles, effectively the same thing right?

Might as well call Socrates Plato, after all one of them wrote about a guy who never wrote a damn thing and they were both old greek guys, right? It's all good.

I think I'm going to go tie a hook on my fly line's leader and bait it with a nightcrawler, and tie a bubble and a fly on my spinning rod and go fly fishing.

Yep gone from tying hairs to splitting hairs. Bout everything I tie is a variant of some sort...I think.

If it catches fish...mission accomplished. The first fly I tied was the ugliest shrimp thing ever ( still have it, may post it ) but what a thrill catching a speckled sea trout on my own fly. THAT started the addiction. Been downhill since.