Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Rate my Clouser 3.0

Flatsroamer

Get on Charlie Cravens website and look at all the patterns in his flybox. They are in sbs fashion which sometimes can be much easier to learn from than a video. I think he has a Clouser on there not sure. He does have some nice saltwater patterns in addition to the trout stuff. As an aside, "I wish I was young enough to still be called a kid!" Anyway, have a good day and post some pictures of the fish you catch on your clousers. I think 4.0 might be the one!!

A bit more sensitive than is called for. If you don't like being called "kid," start acting like an adult. Which means either accepting posts here (or not) but maintaining silence if you disagree.

That's rich.

"Unless you agree with me, you should shut up. You're being immature for voicing disagreement."

Not sure if that was sarcastic, but it is more or less my point.

Fully sarcastic. If you can't gripe about the younger generation as eloquently as Socrates, you shouldn't be doing it.

It's a sad day when something with as much creative potential as fly tying is reduced to, "Tie only established patterns and tie them exactly like everyone else or you're wrong."

A bit more sensitive than is called for. If you don't like being called "kid," start acting like an adult. Which means either accepting posts here (or not) but maintaining silence if you disagree.

That's rich.

"Unless you agree with me, you should shut up. You're being immature for voicing disagreement."

Can't be too rich, Cold. Or too thin.

Boy I wish this in a room full of all yall it would be quite entertaining to say the least. Kind of like the Republican debates.

I did an SBS of a baitfish fly in the saltwater section and got both positive and negative responses. Then the next day I took it out and caught two nice redfish ( 0ne over slot ) and posted the photos. Settled the negatives.

FlatsRoamer take your fly out catch some fish with it and post the results. And don't let the naysayers stop you from future posts. Also if you fish the salt please post in the salt section.

No one is saying "Unless you agree with me, shut up." If one wants to agree or disagree, post on, just don't be a whiny guy and learn from mistakes. There's no reason to not follow a pattern, especially with a broad fly like the Clouser. And don't ask for criticism if one can't take criticism.

I will say this again: acceptance of a flawed flly doesn't help the tier tie a better fly. Which is I believe an aim of the board. Once a tier masters a few basics and does a lot of fly fishing, then he can reach out and extend his choices. No one is going to reproach you if you tie the light hair on top with a Clouser, unless you ask for criticism. When you post a picture on here or on most sites, you're interested in tying a better fly, not having your ego stroked.

No one is saying "Unless you agree with me, shut up."

So maybe your problem isn't being narrow minded, but rather struggling with reading comprehension.

The portion I quoted said exactly:

Which means either accepting posts here (or not) but maintaining silence if you disagree.

Literally, "If you disagree, be silent."

This stuff is too good to be just made up! biggrin.png

What are we talking about?

I am not quite sure, Adam. I don't get posts from Cold (just a line that says "Cold Posted"), so I am only seeing half the conversation.

Sure has drifted from critiquing a Clouser, as far as I can see.

What are we talking about?

I am not quite sure, Adam. I don't get posts from Cold (just a line that says "Cold Posted"), so I am only seeing half the conversation.

Sure has drifted from critiquing a Clouser, as far as I can see.

Seems so, meanwhile Flat's could still use a little help now that he a has few more materials in that he had ordered last week. Its been mentioned in the "free Stuff" thread.

Not sure if that was sarcastic, but it is more or less my point.

Fully sarcastic. If you can't gripe about the younger generation as eloquently as Socrates, you shouldn't be doing it.

then it follows that "if you can't tie an established pattern correctly, as defined by the originator, you shouldn't be doing it."

Realistically, tie whatever the hell you want, but if it is not a Clouser Deep Minnow, don't call it a Clouser Deep Minnow. Call it something else.

If the initial post was titled "Rate my dumbell-eyed bucktail" the discussion could have ended with advice to make neater thread wraps.

If someone wants to tie a Clouser Deep Minnow correctly, all the information is instantly available directly from the originator. AND, again, all the design elements of the style serve a purpose - from eye placement to hair quality to proportions - they were refined over lots of time on the water by the originator.

Probably my hang-up is that there is a real person's name attached to the style. I've met him a couple times, he's tied the pattern in person with my son and I, explaining everything, and I've tied in seminars with his son at the BPS where he manages the fly shop.

Show some honor and respect is all... All ducks are birds, but not all birds are ducks. All Clouser Deep Minnows are flies we tie with dumbell eyes and bucktail, but not all flies we tie with dumbell eyes and bucktail are Clouser Deep Minnows.