Fly Tying

Hey guys, I just returned from Basspro and bought this batch of materials. I was wondering what flies for saltwater that I could tie with these materials. In addition to this I have different colors of marabou, hackle, buck tails,lead eyes and usual stuff like Krystal flash. Any ideas are welcome!post-59033-0-45013800-1463245610_thumb.jpg

You can tie lots of things with that stuff... just go thru the database and look for things you like, and read what materials they used. Remember you can substitute.

I would have thought you'd start out by thinking of what fly or flies you are interested in, and then buying the material for those specific flies. The way you went, you can end up buying a lot of stuff you may never use. But then, it's your money :-)

Yeah, I'd say you can tie every pattern ever tied, with a "Batch of materials."

Was there supposed to be a picture with that?

Yes but for some reason it didn't load, it was just a bunch of bead chain eyes, pink buck tail, pearl chenille , lead eyes, size 4 and 6 hooks , Mylar tubing, tan craft fur, 6 new waxed nylon threads, and a lot of hackles. Sorry for any inconvenience

I don't fish salt yet...but I think some who do, use crab and sand eel patterns. Use your imagination.

You can make some awesome minnows with craft fur ! It can enhance your skill level too, as most likely you will need to learn to do a tight dubbing loop or brush even. I tie them with dubbing loops using orange or olive craft fur, spinning the loop off the hook shank . But then I have some smelt and herring patterns I don't do the loops because they are small enough I don't really need to. Craft fur is among my favorite materials to tie small minnows from. And last I knew it was cheap ( I have enough to probably last the rest of my life, which at 66 may or may not be all that long). I bought it when it was produced on what looks like carpet backing and bought about 6 different colors.

Seems as if you could tie any of the 5 basic flies recommended for Charlotte Harbor of a Clouser minnow, bendback, Seaducer, Lefty's Deceiver & popper.....