Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Triplef

Roger Duckworth's Extended Body Parachute

Today on YouTube I found videos by Roger Duckworth on what to me was a very unique way to tie an extended body parachute. I had to try it and found it to be quite simple to tie and I imaging it will be an effective fish-getter. . . But I haven't fished with it yet.

Lesson #1

Have others tried his innovative approach? What has your experience been fishing it?

I saw this method about a year or two ago. I did up several bodies using it ... and they do look great.

Problem though ... The dubbing, held together with a very thin amount of silicone cement, is a one fish body. There's no tensile strength at all. First fish that hits it, crushes and tears it up.

I saw this method about a year or two ago. I did up several bodies using it ... and they do look great.

Problem though ... The dubbing, held together with a very thin amount of silicone cement, is a one fish body. There's no tensile strength at all. First fish that hits it, crushes and tears it up.

Makes sense! I was afraid that could be the case. Maybe there is a way to strengthen somehow . . . I love how he does the parachute! But you have to have the body above the hook for that to work. Hmmmmm . . .

I tied some up a few years ago. They looked very nice and caught fish. Unfortunately, I too had durability problems with the bodies. I decided not to use that technique anymore as there are more durable ways to make an extended body. My flies are tied to use not to look at so they have to hold together.

IMO, the major durability weakness in the design is the lack of a core internal 'spine' to keep the body materials from unraveling.

Adding a length of very fine micro fishing line along the length of the fibbets/silicone section of the core might just give dubbing something to adhere to w/o adding much weight or bulk...

What other styles of may fly bodies do the same job better?

Rocco

Thinking more and more about this cool fly and the tying process involved, it makes it more clear about the positive aspects of the Norvice. Hmmmm . . .

This wouldn't answer the key problem of how to tie on the parachute though . . . still back to the normal way.

Duckworth's Extended Body Mayfly (Carnage variation)

IMG_2118_zpsiflmnkwp.jpg

IMG_2123_zpsnbk4d6cw.jpg

IMG_2127_zpsysjmrndc.jpg

Adopted his Cat Puke-like fly to foam, fore and aft.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #10

thread - UTC 140 tan

core - 20lb mono

tail/underbody - moose body hair

abdomen - 1mm foam tan

wing - Congo Hair dun

hackle - barred cream

thorax -dubbing tan

Regards,

Scott

I tied something similar but in traditional not parachute, maybe 20 years ago. I used a piece of mono as a core in the tail. They came out good, floated fine etc. But where I fish I have don't have much opportunity to fish them in size 14 that I tied and I'm not sure how it would work in size 16 and 18 which are more prevalent. So I abandoned the concept.

Norm has been doing this same technique on his Nor-Vise forever. Only difference is he put loons on the body after he was finished spinning the body. Just google Nor Vice extended body video, you'll see.

IMO, the major durability weakness in the design is the lack of a core internal 'spine' to keep the body materials from unraveling.

Adding a length of very fine micro fishing line along the length of the fibbets/silicone section of the core might just give dubbing something to adhere to w/o adding much weight or bulk...

What other styles of may fly bodies do the same job better?

Rocco

SBPatt's carnage style extended bodies work great for large flies.

Scott - How small do you tie them?

For 16's and smaller, a microtube extended body is simple and durable. Steven Ojai has a tutorial. I think you could use Duckworth's thorax and under body hackle technique with tubes.

For really small flies, you can use almost anything for the extended body, e.g. twisted/furled zelon/antron/poly.

Bruce,

I've tied Trico spinners down to a #20/22, using 5x tippet as the core.

IMG_2409_zps36dvdtri.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Duckworth's Extended Body Mayfly (Carnage variation)

IMG_2118_zpsiflmnkwp.jpg

IMG_2123_zpsnbk4d6cw.jpg

IMG_2127_zpsysjmrndc.jpg

Adopted his Cat Puke-like fly to foam, fore and aft.

hook - Dai Riki 135 #10

thread - UTC 140 tan

core - 20lb mono

tail/underbody - moose body hair

abdomen - 1mm foam tan

wing - Congo Hair dun

hackle - barred cream

thorax -dubbing tan

Regards,

Scott

That is a beauty!! Wow!

Bruce,

I've tied Trico spinners down to a #20/22, using 5x tippet as the core.

Regards,

Scott

wow! What's the wrap?

I look at these threads, and I have ideas which someone else explains in the next post. So I think I am an ok tier, I can do that, and then I realize you are tying in sizes 18 to 24.

Thanks though, I enjoy the threads and they give me something to look forward to.