Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dux-R-Us

improve "perfect poppers" by adding a bit of lead

I have found that by adding a few wraps of lead to the hook helps Perfect Poppers sit better in the water; helps put hook in fish's bite zone and the added angle in relation to surface really allows the bug to POP! Before this my Perfect Poppers did not POP as well.

Tally ho!

pre_1466693412__popping_bug.jpg

"Hope burns always in the heart of a fisherman." - Zane Grey

I've seen a lot of guys post that the pop isn't important. I can't say one way or the other. But I'm curious as to whether you get more bites with the tail down, and if it affects the hook set.

Are you using the hooks sold with Perfect Poppers?

Here are two images of Perfect Poppers in a bowl of water

all using hooks sold with Perfect Poppers.

The first image shows a #8 and #6 in the Upper Right and

a #8 cork bodied on the Lower Left.

post-11380-0-18530800-1499170685_thumb.png

The second shows a #4.

post-11380-0-06508000-1499170695_thumb.png

If not adjusted for with the tailing, they basically float like a buoy

without adding any additional weight.

After tying on tail material, do those flies still sit like that, Stippled?

Not if you use something that adds buoyancy such as deer hair.

The problem with the Perfect Popper tied as a popper is that at the rear there

is little buoyancy to support the exposed hook. Turn the body around into a

slider and you would need to add something to the tail so they will not float

parallel to the water's surface.

Note the difference in the floating attitude of the cork body.

I use the soft foam popper bodies and a longer shank fine wire hook. I use a lot of 2 or 4XL dry fly hooks, Aberdeen style crappie hooks to tie them with. Without the wrapped hackle and marabou tail the body sits at an angle somewhere between the cork body and Perfect Body popper. When I tie in the hackle and marabou tail the popper will sit pretty level in the water.

As far as the popping action goes, I think it depends on where you position the hook. The lower the hook sits in the body the less popping action you'll get with a cupped face popper. As far as far as a side to side action, if the hook eye is in the center of the popper it's very difficult to get a side to side action unless you manipulate the rod. If you offset the hook eye to the right or left of center then you do get a side to side action when you retrieve.

In studying the Pole Dnacer popper I do believe that a combination of both the added weight and the shape of the head lend to it's side to side or walking the dog action. I have tied a couple, three of them and it was tricky getting the lead wire just right so as not to sit too deep but tail down enough for the right action. My first one must have been pretty good because some salty toothy critter stole it first time out.

I tie all my poppers on tubes and then dress the hooks (generally marabou with some weight usually a bead) I find I get much better hook ups this way. Could be the orientation - or could be that the hook slowly sinks a bit away from the popper after each twitch.