Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatsRoamer

Gheenoe Fishing?

Possible that I get one this year, but before I look into it anymore I want to know if it is fishable from and if anyone has any experiences please share.

FlatsRoamer

There was a thread about this subject just a month or so ago.

I'm actually looking for one myself. GREAT fishing platforms. MANY of my friends have had them, some even have casting and poling platforms. These boats are the gateway drug to expensive flats-boats. You've been warned!!!!

http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/

Amongst other things of interest, there is a Miami club that has it's own section in the forum. Make some friends.

Also check out Microskiff.com

Once you have your drivers license and boaters safety card a micro skiff (Gheenoe or other) may well be what you want. Depending on what you get, they can be cheap to own and cheap to run. It's nice to be able to run a boat for the day on $20 in gas. They also may force you to keep to relatively calm and protected waters for a bit so you can't get into but so much trouble.

Oh, and don't ever tell ANYONE with a boat that they "can't get into but so much trouble".... they will absolutely prove you wrong. Boats, hell anything that floats, have a way of bringing out the STUPID in people.

Flats, I posted a reply to your PM. There's advantages & disadvantages to a Gheenoe when compared to other crafts. They can certainly be paddled & no gas needed, but not the same as a Kayak.

Joel, I've seen that too many times! sad.png

To me the Gheenoes are motor boats. Do not paddle like a kayak or a regular canoe and they are heavier to cartop. So, if I am going to have it on a trailer, which is going to limit where I can put in, I might as well have a motor to get to where I wanted to fish.

There is no doubt about their fishability, and everytime I have run into one on the water I have heard nothing but rave comments from happy customers.

You just need to realize what it is and also what it is not.

Holy Crap!!!

Look up "Gheenoe" images. Almost every picture of people using one is a lesson in how stupid people can be.

To me the Gheenoes are motor boats. Do not paddle like a kayak or a regular canoe and they are heavier to cartop.

They are designed to be used with a motor, and I've used mine with both a 9.9 gas motor & a 36 lb thrust electric motor, but have also paddled it with no problems. No, it's not the same as a canoe or kayak, and it's heavier. I've used mine primarily in tidal creeks & rivers in MD, and now here in SC. Never had any issue paddling it, and that's all i do with mine now, simply because I don't need to have it registered. I also don't try to travel long distances with it, which I never had the need to do anyway. If you try to use it like a flats boat, yes, use a motor, but on a lake, pond or tidal creek backwater, paddling will get you around just fine. I added some better seats to it & 8" high pedestals that are mounted on top of the bench seats. I can sit comfortably & paddle or fish with any gear I own. For me, it's a shallow water, short distance craft, and cost me nothing to propel it but a bit of effort.

I can still move mine around in the bed of my truck too, but it is heavy, around 200 lbs and getting harder to handle as I get older. I do have a trailer, which needs some repairs now, and will eventually get back to using it. All in what you need to do with it, and how you need to move it around. If you want light weight, get a kayak or plastic canoe. If you want a craft that can handle the motors, then a Gheenoe is an option.

Mike, mine doesn't have a center console like you see in some of those pics & when I did put the 9.9 on it, it moved too fast for me. I don't need speed. It's rated for up to a 25 hp motor, and an adult can stand in one & fish. However, as you've noticed, there's no short supply of stupid things that folks will attempt.

It's a very sturdy & stable craft, but not one that should be treated like a flats boat or race boat, because it's not that stable.

Tidewaterfly,

Have you tried to pole it? Given the right depths, it looks like it would pole well. My canoe is superstable, but also on the heavy side for a canoe. In real shallow water I can stand up and pole it more efficiently than I can paddle it. Fancy PVC pipe pole that I use...

No I haven't. In MD the bottoms were mostly soft mud so not sure a pole would have been the right tool. I had thought about getting a pole, but never did. I also never liked standing in mine. I could stand, but wasn't comfortable doing it. The waters I used to fish were shallow enough that a pole might have been fine, but I just paddled & had it setup with two anchors fore & aft.

Oh, and don't ever tell ANYONE with a boat that they "can't get into but so much trouble".... they will absolutely prove you wrong. Boats, hell anything that floats, have a way of bringing out the STUPID in people.

Thank you very much but I don't really need you to tell me what I should and should not say. That being said I agree that being stupid is being stupid regardless of boat size.

I would say that size does matter in this one... :D

Let me explain:

In my experience, folks in canoes, kayaks and small boats are always nice. You can talk to them about anything while you put in and they share stuff after the fishing is done. This is in a place without a boat ramp, good enough to put in up to 16-18ft boats.

Now put in, go out into the open and here comes a 21+ footer named something like "Reel Bitch" getting too close, trying to push you out of "his" spot, because he did not come from the ramp miles away to have a kayak, or a Gheenoe for that matter, delay his plans to soak a mullet chunk. You know the type, the "if you want to fish, get a real boat" crowd.

And let's not talk about the boat ramp scene, which is bad enough to never want to have a boat.

Sure, I am generalizing, and of course there must be plenty of exceptions, but it has happened to me often enough in the past.