Fly Tying

Wooly buggers are probably one of the most popular and versatile freshwater streamer patterns ever created. Sometimes however you want to fish really deep, and a simple bead head might not do enough. This dumbbell eye bugger will get you down deep, and has the added benefit of a jigging action.

Hook: Size 10 Daichi 1750
Tail: Olive marabou
Flash: Krystal flash
Body Wrap: Fine gold wire, olive chenille, and olive saddle hackle
Weight: Dumbbell eyes
Thread: Ultra thread 70 denier in brown/olive
UV Resin: Solarez "Bone Dry"

Watch the video here, or view it on my website for more information... The link for the video on my website is below the imbedded video

Dumbbell Wooly Bugger
Dumbbell eye & hackle video: Mc Fly Angler
www.mcflyangler.com

Cool Fly

I like it

Thanks! Give it a try. Its a good pattern that catches well in fast/deep water. I caught 5 fish on it this morning in just an hour or so once I found a good drift. Well ok, I caught 4. I was fishing with 6x tippet and I hooked a 20+ inch trout down stream with some fast moving water. I wasn't sure enough on my feet to run after it and well, he snapped me off. I probably should have stepped up to 4x, but I threw it on after fishing some nymphs and I was too lazy to re-tie tippet. Oh well. :( It still was a fun day!

Great video. We went through a stage when I lived in Washington where we put dumbells on everything. Really good jigging action and rides hook up. Great job. Thanks for your detailed work.

Great video. We went through a stage when I lived in Washington where we put dumbells on everything. Really good jigging action and rides hook up. Great job. Thanks for your detailed work.

Yeah dumbbells are awesome! One of the first flies I learned to tie was a clouser minnow. Sometimes also when I get out on the river I don't bring my sink tip line, so I need a fly that can get deep with floating line. Not the best way to fish, but works in a pinch.

Glad you liked the video.

Definitely will tie it.

Cheers

Cool Fly

I like it

Thanks! Give it a try. Its a good pattern that catches well in fast/deep water. I caught 5 fish on it this morning in just an hour or so once I found a good drift. Well ok, I caught 4. I was fishing with 6x tippet and I hooked a 20+ inch trout down stream with some fast moving water. I wasn't sure enough on my feet to run after it and well, he snapped me off. I probably should have stepped up to 4x, but I threw it on after fishing some nymphs and I was too lazy to re-tie tippet. Oh well. :( It still was a fun day!

I hate casting a sink tip line, always have. I usually always have a few dumbell eye WB's with me, probably since the mid 90s. They've saved the day more than once.

I hate casting a sink tip line, always have. I usually always have a few dumbell eye WB's with me, probably since the mid 90s. They've saved the day more than once.

Yeah I don't like sink tip line either, it's cumbersome, and annoying to bring the extra spool with you. I also don't like throwing on a ton of split shot as they can be tough to cast and twist/knot up your line. So I, like you, always have some weighted streamers for getting down deep.

McFly

Just tied up a half dozen of these in black and grizzly in size 8 and can't wait to get them wet in the local brook trout creek. When I began watching the video I thought " Another wooly bugger variant " and then I watched them swim. Thanks for this pattern.

Les

I enjoyed your video, nice job !

Although I've never tied woolly buggers with eyes I have tied them weighted plus a cone head and while dumb on my part, I've broken off more than one because I didn't change out the 5x tippet and a big fish either went behind a big rock ( big brookies) or ran down river into faster water ( salmon). I think the real point is that a good sized deep diving woolly can hook up with some big fish. Often the larger fish in a pool is hanging out down in the depths of the deeper pools. There is one pool where I fish a sink tip line and a cone head woolly bugger and never snag, or rarely snag, bottom.

Of all the sink tip lines I've used, a SA Mastery was the best for having no hinge action ($69 line last I knew). Unfortunately that series back then didn't last, the coatings peeled off . I don't know how the new Mastery line is, i would hope SA addressed the 3M coating issue but retained the no hinge aspect of the sink tip..

Nice video showing one of the many options to tie a bugger.

Use yellow marabou for the tail and that fly would do well for carp. Or as we call them, the poor mans bonefish.

Nice job.