Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pondfisher

Beginner - purchased Grizzly Saddle Hackle- wrong kind?

Buy the Whiting 100 pack Grizzly for 14/16 hook sizes. It's only $20 and you'll be back where you wanted to be. From THAT you'll see what is required for dry fly hackle.

eric

fresno, ca.

Buy the Whiting 100 pack Grizzly for 14/16 hook sizes. It's only $20 and you'll be back where you wanted to be. From THAT you'll see what is required for dry fly hackle.

eric

fresno, ca.

Trouble is with 100's packs it's 14 or 16 size, not 14/16. So if you want to tie both you are buying $40 worth. And if you want 12s also , now you are up to $60. Might as well have bought a good neck or a couple of half necks or saddle pelts.. I get your point though, the 100's do give consistency and quality.

Whiting intro packs can be good. J Stockard has them as 4 half capes for $66. That's a heck of a lot of feathers. As Cold says though, you need to know what you want. My choice would certainly include grizzly and brown, if they have them then furnace and ginger also. That leaves the Duns uncovered that would have to be filled in at some point perhaps. But for where I tie my flies for mostly, I could live without them actually. If I start traveling to NY more then the dun becomes a bigger player. Again it's about knowing what you need.

I love the whiting 100 packs but not for flies that require the tips. 20 bucks for a whiting pack will get you 6 or 7 Adams. Not a wise use of the dollar.

Not that hen saddles aren't good feathers but, not really made for dry flies. A lot of folks will use hen hackle tips for the wings on dry flies but if the pic of that hen saddle is what you have don't see many smaller tips at the base of it. If you use the tips off that cape then you mess up the rest of the feather for doing wings on a streamer or on poppers.

I finally found a decent article on hackle selection...http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ Go to Fly Tying then Beginner tying/ part 12 Hackle and the Woolly Worm....It is the first thing they discus. I am still going to keep searching for a better article on different hackle.

Man, Someone needs to figure out how to permanently pin that vid. The newbies need this BAD! This is about as close as i could ever describe...and it taught me something new. No matter how long you have been tying keep reading, searching and learning.

BTW. Do not even think of buying an exotic pheasant or something untill you understand pretty well what you are looking at. Research, research, and then re do the search again untill you can feel the difference.

BTW. Do not even think of buying an exotic pheasant or something untill you understand pretty well what you are looking at. Research, research, and then re do the search again untill you can feel the difference.

Yep! On the advise of the guys here I limited my Pheasant Tails purchase to just natural color and tied many flies with that until I knew what else I wanted to tie. Now after some research I bought Red, Green and Yellow to tie Sierra Bright Dots in those colors. It's a process. I also started with small packs of grizzly hackle until I was ready to spend some serious dough. I just picked up 5 half capes in Grizzly, Brown, Dun, Black and Cream which should cover most everything I want to tie for a $100.00 but still had that hesitation when I pushed the BUY button unsure.png