Fly Tying
Bimini15

Please give me your opinion on this fly.

Hello,

I started with a transfoamer in mind, but substituted materials/colors with what I had.

Opinions, please.

post-52874-0-96637200-1470702488_thumb.jpeg

post-52874-0-13125900-1470702530_thumb.jpeg

post-52874-0-07407400-1470702572_thumb.jpeg

If I was a fish I'd eat it. Have you put it in the water yet? I wonder how it floats with the wire ribbing. It almost looks like it would sit nose up..which could be good.

yeh, I was wondering about the rib. Generally one uses wire to make the fly sink, but uses foam to make it float. You might consider using tinsel, or maybe monofilament for the rib. As a hopper, it looks pretty good, but hoppers don't usually have tails.

It floats flat at first. After soaking for a bit it the hook takes a very slight dive. More than the ribbing, I think it is the wool yarn absorbing quite a bit of water.

with that much foam, I wouldn't think it would sink, as long as you used EVA (closed cell) foam. Where did you get that foam?

I like it.I tie a fly sort of like it without the ribbing and catch bass and gills on them.Even if it is a slow sinker it should catch fish.What size hook is it tied on?

Flafly,

The transfoamer has a long-ish marabou tail, which I cut only because my hook was longer than the original and made the fly long enough already.

I think you are right. If I cut the foam a little I may not need a tail at all.

The foam is the cheapo 50 half sheets for $5 at Walmart.

Steve,

#6 Mustad 34011. Don't tell the Trout Police. :)

Mea culpa. I am not familiar with the transfoamer.... I just assumed it was a hopper. Main point, though, is that none of this will matter to that big bass. He'll eat it up.

That's a good looking fly man!I bet it would be great for gills!OR tied in different colors like a stimulator!

Steve... If you used Walmart craft foam, you used closed-cell. It should float. Actually, it's not that big a deal... fish take bugs on the surface and underwater as well. That's why we have both wet and dry flies. You could make some as slow sinkers (with wire) and some more with mono, to use as floaters. Then you'd have both options covered. For surface bugs, you might use yellow or chartreuse, so it would be easier to see.

I'm guilty of creating this pattern. It was originally called a foam dragon when we did the Youtube tutorial on it, but I changed the name to make it more marketable when Fulling Mill picked it up. I had bluegill and bass in mind when I first tied it, but it has been proven as a bona fide trout slayer too. I kind of wanted a mashup of a wooly bugger and a chernobyl ant when I started playing with the pattern, and it is designed to ride with a hanging butt a little because I think it's more appealing to the fish.

I really like a nymph hook on this one so it rides correctly in the water. Too much foam can cause it to ride on it's side or upside down. Also, if you are using wool on the back half of the fly, I'd recommend using some type of floatant on it. I always use floatant regardless of whether or not the fly is made of tons of foam (Loon Lochsa reigns supreme when it comes to floatants.)

Cheech

Kind of reminds me of a pattern I tied years ago that was actually supposed to be a black spider pattern of sorts. Anyway, before the big foam rage, it was a big dubbing ball on a curved wet hook with crossed legs like that. Designed to sink, we fished them on sinking line in fact. Bass loved them, really loved them. And a simple tie. Yours is more elaborate and obviously meant to float and not replicate a spider, so it's ot the same but just reminded me of that spider pattern that we fished wet...

If you want it to float I agree with cheech and grease it up. I also agree that in the future maybe use something in place of the wire, like thin sewing tinsel or x fine tying tinsel.. And along the way you might acquire synthetic dubbing.

After soaking for a bit it the hook takes a very slight dive. More than the ribbing, I think it is the wool yarn absorbing quite a bit of water.

#6 Mustad 34011. Don't tell the Trout Police. smile.png

34011! I think it's more a function of the iron you're using; that diving feature may be a plus. Nice fly.

I'm guilty of creating this pattern. It was originally called a foam dragon when we did the Youtube tutorial on it, but I changed the name to make it more marketable when Fulling Mill picked it up.

Cheech,

Didn't realize it was your pattern when I submitted my Transfoamer SBS (wish F/M had noted it that way); I'll update/attribute. Thanks for another cool fly.

Regards,

Scott

After soaking for a bit it the hook takes a very slight dive. More than the ribbing, I think it is the wool yarn absorbing quite a bit of water.

#6 Mustad 34011. Don't tell the Trout Police. smile.png

34011! I think it's more a function of the iron you're using; that diving feature may be a plus. Nice fly.

I'm guilty of creating this pattern. It was originally called a foam dragon when we did the Youtube tutorial on it, but I changed the name to make it more marketable when Fulling Mill picked it up.

Cheech,

Didn't realize it was your pattern when I submitted my Transfoamer SBS (wish F/M had noted it that way); I'll update/attribute. Thanks for another cool fly.

Regards,

Scott

Yep... No prob. They have added the FlyFishFood logo by all of our (Curtis and I) flies in the catalog now.