Fly Tying
add147

Who all has tied at fly tying shows / expos???

Fly shows need flytyers tying or else it's not much of a show! Who wants to go to a show thats just a heap of shops trying to flog off last years stuff? Big name tyers need to do shows to keep their Big name too! The bigger the names the show gets = the bigger the show = the bigger the money made!?!

Hey guys, probably a dumb question but why do you tie at a show? Are you selling flies or just want to tie in front of others? Im going to my first show in Nov.

Gives me a chance to get out and share with like minds. Plus when working a club booth, mikechell you will like this, I get in for free.

Edit;

Adam,

I have tied at shows with key note speakers like April Vokey, Bob Clouser, and Dave Whitlock. They have been a bust concerning attendance. This wasn't the fault of the speakers, it was the promoters. When you have folks like those you have to start promoting 6 months in advance, not 3 or 4 weeks.

Gives me a chance to get out and share with like minds. Plus when working a club booth, mikechell you will like this, I get in for free.

LOL Yeah ... YOU get in for free.

Do you know how much the club pays for the booth?

12745977_922264534489443_746432826864468

When I was first invited to tie at the shows I felt it a great honor. We are not paid and I found it very
rewarding chatting with individuals who were just as engaged with fly fishing/tying as I am.
I now have quite a few people that I look forward to seeing every year and am fortunate to call friend.

I have slowed down a bit and will usually tie for an hour and a half at the Umpqua booth.
They get me in the show for free and I push my own patterns. I still like being in that atmosphere
and seeing all of my friends. Three days is a lot of tying and by the afternoon of the third day you are beat.

I really like tying at the TU Fly Tying Clinics because it’s like a bunch of guys tying in someones basement
having a lot of fun. They just happen to be some of the most talented tyers in the region. The attendees sit
across from you and and ask you questions as you tie. It can also be very intimidating. Most of these guys
have been tying for over 30-40 years and certainly know more than I do.

The TU people treat us like kings serving us food and snacks throughout the day and then have a reception
for us at the end of the day. And it only last 1 day. You make a little money for TU and I sell some DVD’s,
a portion of which I donate to TU. I figure it is a win/win all around.

What’s more it gets me all excited about fishing in the Spring which is right around the corner.

Kimo

LOL Yeah ... YOU get in for free.

Do you know how much the club pays for the booth?

At some shows not for profits get a free booth, others at a greatly reduced rate. Depends on the promoters.

I know, it sounds like I am "anti-show" but I'm not. Just thinking out loud about the question, "Why do you tie at shows?" posted by Joseph. And replying with my (limited) experience of the few people I've known at those shows.

Yes, they enjoy tying ... and were members of a fly tying club.

Yes, they volunteered their time, to be a part of the show and to represent their club.

If you're part of a club, you go for that reason. If you're part of a business, you go for that business. If you're dedicated to environmental improvements, fly tying as an "anti-drugs" movement, whatever, you go to promote your agenda.

Maybe, just maybe, someone goes simply because fly tying is their "soul mate" and the show is just another reason to tie more flies ... but I doubt that even as I type it.

After 40 hours or more at a job ... working a show on the weekend ... it would take more than just "kudos" to make me do that.

But that's just me.

I have been to shows where if you was just a tyer who wanted to tie there was a section of small tables at no charge. They just asked that you be at the table. Now you did get some breaks just put up a sign says what time you'll be back.

Now if you was selling some sort of product they would want booth rent.

I've tied at shows/exposes working either my saltwater or fresh water fly fishing club/group's table. Mike's right we have an agenda. The fresh water club mainly to promote the club and attract new members. The salt water club the same with the addition of teaming up with the local(South Jersey) chapter of CFR to raise money to support their activities. Next up is the Fly Tying Symposium at Somerset, NJ in November. If you live in driving distance of the show and have never gone to it I highly recommend it. Nothing really add to the advice already given. I'm slowly getting over the urge to bring materials that I think I might need just in case someone asks me how to tie a particular pattern. I try and plan what I'm going to tie and pack the materials, hooks and tools I need.

Why do I volunteer to work the club table. True, I do get into the show free. But I enjoy tying, sharing my limited knowledge with people, and hopefully learning some new things by watching others tie.

Well since I started this post I figure I would make a few comments. This will be my first show that I am actually tying in so I am some what excite but I am also nervous as well. My very first show that I when to was the Texas Fly Fishing Expo in New Braunfels, Texas back in June of 2014 which I took my son and we had a great time, It is amazing hen you have a kid with you fly tiers are really eager to show them things. Anyway since that very first show I was really impressed how friendly fly tiers are and they really do not mind taking their time on showing you how to tie stuff. Every since that show I have been to several other shows and I thought that the Mountain Home Conclave that is coming up this October would be a great opportunity to dive off into. As many of you know I am by no means a professional at the is hobby I just do it for fun and to have something to do. Thank you to all who that have given me pointers I greatly appreciate it!!! Have a great Labor Day...

I think I need to get some business cards, does any body know the best way to do this?

Vistaprint.com usually has a special on 250 or 500 cards, you can design them yourself on their site.

Blane

I tied at an expo down in Louisville, but they asked me to stop.

I'm almost afraid to ask! sad.png

I never tied at any big shows. Always wanted to, but never did. Those I did tie at were with a club of which I used to be a member, (a no longer active club) or at some TU shows where I was a vendor.

My reason for tying at shows was to further promote the flies I tied & sold, and myself. That's important for commercial tyers to do and get some recognition. I also usually sold enough to make it worth the effort. What I sold was always tied & stocked well before the event. There's never enough time to tie orders at such shows so don't try!

I've nothing else to add for preparing as others who have responded have covered things very well.

For any of you folks in the North East USA, there's an event each year now called the "Lefty Kreh Tiefest" put on by the CCA Chapter in MD. It started as a get together for some locals & expanded from there. If you want to learn about tying at a event, go watch what they tyers there do. There are several well known tyers who have been there through the years, and some lesser known, but always a great event. It's put on in the winter months, and has varied with locations, so check the CCA MD website for the official date. Well worth attending!

BTW, if you only want to expand your tying, this is the purpose for which Tiefest was originated. Not many events around like this that you can sit down with the pro's & learn. wink.png

I've always gotten my space for free, although I do have to pay my own expenses. I do volunteer to promote IFFF, but, mostly, it gives me a chance to meet people, and something to do at the show. As I've already seen most of the presentations, I can usually see all I want to see, of the show, on my breaks.

Also, as a participant, I can go onto the show floor during setup the night before, and go in early each day. This is when the "talent" gets to socialize. We get to shoot the bull with the celebrities, and pick up tips from the other tiers. Depending on the show, and the vendor, there sometimes is also the opportunity for some off-hours shopping.