Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wayne offord

U.S. wide fishing licence

Being a heavy truck mechanic all my life, I was of course around trucking and truck drivers constantly. I don't know one that was looking to fish in the down time, it's more about some survival shut eye and save the fishing trips for back home. It's tough meeting and beating schedules etc.. Not so different from rail roading, we have a son who holds his license for conductor and engineer and mostly runs a local train for 12 hours per day. When he does road trips , the only thing he wants is a hotel room and the next train home to be on the tracks on time. He has seen plenty of water on his trips that one day he would like to get back to and fish when on vacation. I've told many a trucker that I don't envy his position a bit and kudos for handling those big rigs as they do with idiots on the road who think those big rigs stop like their VW does. We had trucks from all over the country hitting our yard, plus our own local routes being run. The over the road guys in the down time moved their trucks to a corner of the yard and went back into the sleepers for a few hours shut eye, then moved on. Most wanted to know where they could pick up a sandwich to take back on the road. Most looked tired, needed a shower ( which we had) and just wanted to get back home. It's fine to drive for a living, Don't be thinking this is something it isn't though.

That's one of the attractions of a lifetime license, it's always valid. I've researched NC, SC, VA and TN. In all four, once you purchase the lifetime license, it doesn't matter where you live. The caveat is that lifetime licenses for non-residents are prohibitively expensive. So, if you think you may be moving out of state in the near future, look into getting a lifetime license before you move. It may be a good investment.

Mike, here in NC, the deer population is growing faster than the human population. Deer love suburban living!

Mike, here in NC, the deer population is growing faster than the human population. Deer love suburban living!

Hence the reason for this part of my post, "Human populations continue to increase, animal populations (for most species) continue to fall."

On the other hand, those States with burgeoning deer populations probably don't have high cost OOS hunting licenses, either.

Just get a lifetime license for each state you fish in.

Most states which I am familiar with do not offer a "lifetime" license until you are at least 60, and most of them not til 65.

Florida does have a lifetime license and it is a great deal if you are young. Firstly up until a certain age you can buy it at a reduced cost (great gift) and secondly it is still a lot cheaper until some age (I worked it out at one time but don't remember). After you hit that age you are better off buying until you hit 65 (when you don't need one). It's over 1k at full price and i don't think it is available for non FL residents. When I last researched it, most of the funds collected whet right back onto the water (especially from stamps) here in FL (that my have changed a dozen times since then). One of the few "fees" I really don't have an issue with if that still hold true.

Out of state licenses can get pricey. I know that in some states it can cost over $350 (years ago) for everything just to hunt whitetail from out of state.

What if someone buys a lifetime resident license when they are young, then ends up living in another state? They're no longer a resident of Florida, does their "lifetime" license still apply?

Hunting licenses are always way more expensive for nonresidents. Most folks who live in normal states don't even understand that in others such as pennsylvania, the game commission and the fish commission are two totally separate, unrelated agencies. There is no "Fish and Game Department" here. Non-resident hunting licenses in the states I've been can get prohibitively expensive very quickly.

I'm not sure, I've had similar thoughts, I would be pissed if bought one and then I moved if it was no longer valid. I just know that a non-resident lifetime license has never been an option whenever I have purchased a license.

Edit: See next post.

from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission website

Note: Lifetime licenses remain valid for use in Florida even if the license holder moves out of the state.

http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/lifetime-licenses/

Good to know. Thanks.

Hence the reason for this part of my post, "Human populations continue to increase, animal populations (for most species) continue to fall."

On the other hand, those States with burgeoning deer populations probably don't have high cost OOS hunting licenses, either.

I grew up in rural Pa but have lived in text book suburbia Pa for over 30 years. I gave up hunting when I could walk to hunting grounds because of the total lack of game. Now the animal population in suburbia is exploding. The deer are out of control, fox, turkey, Hawks, Eagles, squirrels, rabbits, skunks, and coyotes are every where and we are now getting more and more black bears wandering about. I remember when I did hunt a six pointer was considered a great buck. Nowadays friends of mine who bow hunt routinely pass up 8 pointers to wait for a bigger one.

The more people the safer the animals are. Can't shoot them where they are so other then car accidents they just continue to multiply unchecked every year. A Pa hunting license is dirt cheap, relatively speaking, but you just can't shoot anything in suburbia. Certain land owners have bow hunters come on their property to try and control the deer population but it's as effective as peeing into the wind.

Hey Guy,

I remember meeting two guys in partial fatigues on the river one day, we sat and started talking.

I remember them both saying they were fishing places i had never heard of. We talked about the differences.

I remember one was carrying the most incredible sniper rifle i had ever seen ( The 1st time i saw a Barret 50). He was required to protect it at all times...apparently even while out fishing.

I asked them about the regs on fishing...we were talking about some strange things. The spotter (i learned quick what they were) told me they have a 50 states legal license. They even started talking about chasing Peacock Bass in ??? It was Very south of the boarder.

I remember about 10 years ago running into some Audi Prince That had bagged about 40 trout on the Arkansas and walked under diplomatic immunity. I would love to tie his feet to certain floored branch.

So there may be ways to get a NATIONAL license( but i think only us military get those)...You would be better off asking each state parks/ wildlife PERSONALLY ( by phone is best)???you might get breaks coming in from Candida regularly???

You never know till you try...

There is no "national license" for the military.

But almost all States allow active duty military personnel to fish in their home State without a license while on "leave". You just have to have your leave orders on you.

This was about 20 years ago...They were the first to tell me of a Peacock Bass... I had never heard of them till then. Maybe things changed??? Or i could have been doupted.

But the diplomatic immunity is a sore spot with me...It is VERY real.

Next time i meet it there will be a mysterious drowning.

I know i guy use to work with was a reservist on C130 fire crew. They could get some great fishing in and never had to get a lic. no matter were they went...Were they just breaking the law???

Yep ... breaking the law. I was "C-130 crew" ... Avionics and Electrician ... and there was no national license while I was in ... '81 to '92.

As far as I know, there has never been a "military" license.

Each State controls it's own licensing, as it should be. Some States are more lenient with military members, but the Federal Government cannot provide a license that undermines the State's. Yet, anyway.