Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

OK to use a 6 wt line on a 5 wt rod?

I'm in a dilemma here... I bought a new Lamson Litespeed 2 Series IV reel which will work with a 4,5 or 6 wt line. The question is: can a Scott A4 9' 5wt rod handle a SA Sharkwave GPX WF-6-F or do I have to match the line to the rod?

Appreciate any info to help make a decision here... SD

Yes. The A4 is relatively slow so it is not a rod I would choose for "overlining" (i.e. using a line heavier than the rod) but it will cast just fine.

Some people overline as a basic principle. Waters get a bit muddier when one considers that line companies are not overlining at the factory. The GPX is such a line so if what I'm reading on the web is correct, you will actually be overlining 1.5x the weight of the rod.

Depending on your cast, you may find it harder to hold more line in the air, but just shorten the amount of line you start out with and shoot the rest and you will be fine. In the long run, I would recommend picking up a WF5 or DT5 for the Scott, which I think you will like better. YMMV.

I use a SA Sharkwave GPX WF-5-F on my 5 weight rod. My understanding is that the GPX line is a half a size heavier, that why I bought that line. There is one way to find out how the 6 weight line works. Just give it a shot.

I think you will really like that reel. I sure like mine!

Short answer, yes.

Long answer -

5 wt. line = 140 grains = 9.07 grams = 0.32 ounces (avdp)

6 wt. line = 160 grains = 10.37 grams = 0.37 ounces (avdp)

A difference of 20 grains, about the weight of a paper clip.

I use a wf6f line on my 5wt rod.The rod is an old sage gfl 590 ds2.Medium fast rod.Not a problem.Actually casts better than the 5wt line did.

Best thing to do is put it on and try it.

It's been a while but I read (might have been on this site) that matching line weight to the rod pertains to how it casts with 30 feet of line out, give or take 6 feet or so.

If you're routinely fishing less than that distance, go up one number. If you're routinely casting farther than that distance, go down a number.

I started trying that and it seems to work rather well. I only use the cheapest lines I can buy ... paid $9.00 bucks for the last several spools of floating line I bought. I can cast farther with the matched line weight or one number lower, so I am convinced.

Mike, please elaborate.

I also read somewhere the thing about the 30 feet, and everyone has heard about overlining, but I never knew about underlining for longer casts.

And I also have a cheapo line which I actually feel is truer to weight than most others I have. No super exagerated wf tapers and such.

As I remember it, and it works in practice for me, is that you're duplicating the weight of the line.

If you routinely cast out to 40 feet or more, the rod will be overloaded to an extent with the "right" line, so one number lighter line will be more closely weighted correctly for the rod. You'll need to "drive" the line a little harder on short cast, because it's not quite heavy enough in the shorter lengths.

If you regularly cast short distances, say small creek fishing, then one weight over will properly load the rod with less line out. Longer casts with a heavier line will then be overloading the rod, making it act like a slower action rod.

I have overlined for short distances. Then one day I was thinking what if I underlined. So I put my 6wt line on my old firberglass 7wt and went out in the back yard. I was able to carry enough line in the air that I was able to shoot into the backing.

I agree with Mike, if your are going to be needing to make long cast of 40ft regularly, underline it. If most cast will be less then 30ft, you can overline with out a problem.

The reason for the +1/2 weight lines being developed was for the extra and ultra fast rods. Most folks have trouble loading those rods with a normal line weight so they would overline them anyway.

Me, it's rare the I spend more than $40 on a line and I mostly match the rod weight.

Short answer, yes.

Long answer -

5 wt. line = 140 grains = 9.07 grams = 0.32 ounces (avdp)

6 wt. line = 160 grains = 10.37 grams = 0.37 ounces (avdp)

A difference of 20 grains, about the weight of a paper clip.

While you're short is correct, the math is a bit more complicated. A five wt. weighs between 134 and 146 grains; a six wt weighs between 152 and 168 grains. Add to that the fact the GPX is a "half weight" line, weighing somewhere around 172 grains, the difference can be closer to 40 grains. The weight of two paper clips, I guess.

Still, Aa five weight GPX is already overlining the rod. Since the rod in question (which I'm unfamiliar with) is described above as being comparatively slow, unless the OP is only considering using the rod at short distances, sticking with a five weight might be a better choice. The 6 wt not going to break the rod, but it might limit the maximum distance he can achieve.

The underlining theory makes total sense on paper.

I am currently overlining my 6wt rod with a 7wt line just because I had and extra line around. I am going to try the cheapo 5wt line on it too just to see what happens.

I overweight my 4wt with a 5wtf line from Bass pro it's a 9'10" fairy fast rod though so a good bit of muscle I am nearly casting into there backing with it as long as my flies are within. With the weight forward taper there isn't really much difference between having 30 ft of line in the air and 40ft it just shows it down a little I usually shoot it at some point after I have 30 or so ft out.