Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ole_florida_mike

Sage X vs. Scott Meridian

The Sage X and the Scott Meridian are the class leaders when it comes to 8-10 weight saltwater fly rods. So we decided to compare the two. We put the sticks in our FFF certified casting instructor Gene Geppert's hands and asked him to evaluate each rod then give an analysis at the end. He tested each rod for its performance on distance casts, accuracy on 40' casts, and subjective "feel" on fishing casts. Both rods were the 9' 8 weight model and were strapped with a Tibor Back Country Wide with RIO Bonefish WF8F fly line. Check out the results:

Sage X vs. Scott Meridian Fly Rod Review

post-58370-0-75765600-1474666561_thumb.jpg

I've had the opportunity to fish both rods and loved them equally. In the post and video though Gene makes a good point about casting style, which I think is good to keep in mind when deciding between any two rods. If you've fished either of these rods feel free to let me know what you think.

So, how do either of those gold plated rods (judging from the price) do when compared to a $139.00 Hobbs Creek rod of the same size?

I mean, if you're going to compare two rods, then give me a choice between price points. What makes those rods so expensive? Looking at the distances from the "fly's point of view" ... it doesn't look like he's getting any more distance than I do with my MUCH less expensive rods.

Good points. I agree that a good caster can do well with whatever rod is in his or her hand.

We'll do mid-point and entry-level rod reviews at some point as well.

That being said, a comparison between a top of the line rod and a lower end rod would be unfair. I can't compare a honda civic to a laborghini aventador.

True both would get you where you need to go, but the lambo is going to be much more enjoyable.

The new technology which makes each rod so expensive is definitely an upgrade to any other rod that you'd have to feel. The way each rod effortlessly loads up and quickly generates line speed, then completely eliminates wobble and lateral movement at the end of the cast undeniably produces more accurate casts and is something I've never felt before in another rod. Not to mention they're the two lightest 8 weights I've ever held.

Distance wise, Gene averaged 80' with the Meridian and 75' with the X. I don't believe distance is nearly as important as accuracy in most actual fishing situations, however I do believe that someone who consistently casts 80' with other rods would be able to reach 90+ feet with the Sage or Scott.

I like Mikes idea. I've cast both expensive and inexpensive rods and I have to admit to not being able to feel things that others, such as rod reviewers, say they can feel. Not saying they aren't feeling these subtleties, I'm just saying I don't feel them. Wobble at the end of the cast and lateral movement would be two such feelings. I am aware that different rods cast differently but I can't say they are anymore or less difficult to cast. I can only say some cast differently then others and some cast the same. my obvious lack of finesse and feeling is a blessing when it comes to buying fly rods. I would look forward to seeing an unbiased review between cheap, moderate and expensive priced rods paired with the same reel and fly line. Maybe some sub 200 dollar TFO rods compared to the Sage x. My TFO 8wt does not take a master caster (I'm proof of this) or great effort to get out 75' and I can't help but think the difference between it and a sage is dollars, a ounce or two and glowing words. I would really like to hear the comparison from somebody with touch and finesse.

In fact, I believe the bigger game changer in fly fishing is not so much the rod as fly line and the better option for budget conscious fly fishermen is to invest in a cheaper rod but more expensive fly line. Got off topic a bit sorry.

I like Mikes idea. I've cast both expensive and inexpensive rods and I have to admit to not being able to feel things that others, such as rod reviewers, say they can feel. Not saying they aren't feeling these subtleties, I'm just saying I don't feel them. Wobble at the end of the cast and lateral movement would be two such feelings. I am aware that different rods cast differently but I can't say they are anymore or less difficult to cast. I can only say some cast differently then others and some cast the same. my obvious lack of finesse and feeling is a blessing when it comes to buying fly rods. I would look forward to seeing an unbiased review between cheap, moderate and expensive priced rods paired with the same reel and fly line. Maybe some sub 200 dollar TFO rods compared to the Sage x. My TFO 8wt does not take a master caster (I'm proof of this) or great effort to get out 75' and I can't help but think the difference between it and a sage is dollars, a ounce or two and glowing words. I would really like to hear the comparison from somebody with touch and finesse.

In fact, I believe the bigger game changer in fly fishing is not so much the rod as fly line and the better option for budget conscious fly fishermen is to invest in a cheaper rod but more expensive fly line. Got off topic a bit sorry.

I guess you aren't familiar with the Yellowstone Angler Shootout rod reviews. They have been doing it for years, just what you are asking for.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream

I own a couple of Sage rods and can say that in the series I own, it's a goal to find another rod that has the same smooth feel. I account that to how they dampen out the harmonics that most of the other rods I own do not. A close second is the RX7 5 wt I built last year, similar feel if not quite as powerful but close. But it also cost me less than $135 to build, including shipping the components too. Quite the difference in cost, any more rods that I want I'll be building . Not sure if they will be all be Revolution RX7 blanks or not.

I guess you aren't familiar with the Yellowstone Angler Shootout rod reviews. They have been doing it for years, just what you are asking for.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-5weightflyrodcomparison-new-fly-rods-best-all-around-fly-rod-g-loomisnrxlp-scott-radian-orvis-helios2-hardyzephrus-hardy-wraith-sagemod-sage-bolt-loop-optistream

Who knew? I must admit that I do not seek out rod shootouts but thanks for sharing.

Rod shootouts are great but always going to be biased.You see which rod came out on top!I could have guessed that without seeing the shootout.

You will never see the Echo Base on the TOP of the list.It would ruin the market. I still can't see what makes a rod worth $795.00.

That being said, a comparison between a top of the line rod and a lower end rod would be unfair. I can't compare a honda civic to a laborghini aventador.

True both would get you where you need to go, but the lambo is going to be much more enjoyable.

True only under certain circumstances and only if the operator is experienced/skilled/knowledgeable/trained/wealthy enough to appreciate it. Driving an Aventador around town on potholed streets, getting groceries, would be a pain in the a$$. Sure it would be a chick magnet, at the grocery store down the street where the chicks are walking out with their two cartons of cigarettes and a gallon of milk bought with food stamps.

Fly rods are a lot like road bikes. A $12K Cervelo S5 team edition is a thing of beauty and capable of an almost unbelievable level of performance- but put my big slow carcass on one, and I won't be able to use it to any more advantage than my 10 year old $1K Cannondale R700. Most people are not going to ever get the benefit of all that "cutting edge" engineering.

Rod shootouts are great but always going to be biased.You see which rod came out on top!I could have guessed that without seeing the shootout.

You will never see the Echo Base on the TOP of the list.It would ruin the market. I still can't see what makes a rod worth $795.00.

A $795 rod fixes a $2 cast.

:)

What JS said. In my business, I've had the chance to drive some of the most expensive cars on the road. (ridden in a few that they wouldn't let me drive)

I can tell you that many of the top performance cars ... well, lets just say you wouldn't want to drive a full tank of fuel out. By that time, you'd be sore and wishing you'd been driving a "soccer-mom-mobile" for the comfort of the seats.

But it's an unfair analogy. If you've got the money, you'll enjoy your high priced vehicle and fly rod. If you don't, you'll be too afraid of breaking either one to get full enjoyment out of them.