Fly Tying
stabgnid

<<soft hackle help >>

Practicing tying soft hackles .. Need to know if the sizing right on this #14 and what is the best all around hook Size for these do I need to go smaller ??

Thanks

Steve-stabgnid PS please don't pick this fly apart its just practice

apart_zpsnympvzf1.jpg

I use a size 12 - 14 most of the time for soft hackles, extra short hooks. What are you using? Partridge is probably the best for many soft hackle flies

For a such a "simple" style of fly, there are a lot of details involved. For really small wet flies I use starling skins in various colors to hackle them. Take a look at www.flymphforum.com. Incredible amount of information on wets and flymphs on that site by some true experts.

Joe

I use a size 12 - 14 most of the time for soft hackles, extra short hooks. What are you using? Partridge is probably the best for many soft hackle flies

Well that hook is something I grab out of the practice hook bin I have ..

I really like Allens Hooks a lot .. Is wide gap hooks good for Soft hackles ??

Steve-stabgnid

I agree with flyguy, #12-14 covers a lot of basic softhackle patterns. I use everything from wet fly hooks like Dai Riki 075, Mustad 3399A to dry hooks like Dai Riki 320s. Just an observation on your fly - I'd shorten the head a bit (usually no more than one hook eye in width, smaller if possible); also, I try to keep the tips of the hackle just long enough to reach the bend ( there are some exceptions, though). I also agree with flyguy that partridge is great for softhackles; hen capes, too, and you don't need expensive genetic stock, the cheap ones work fine.

Regards,

Scott

That head belongs in a monster movie .

Meant to be good natured ribbing of a World Champion Cubs Fan !!! What thread are you using by the way ? and I find tying the hackle in at it's point is helpful in utilizing the smaller hackles on the quill and it keeps the head a little neater but what do I know I'm a beginner this year on the soft hackles as well.

post-59483-0-04598200-1482975570_thumb.jpeg

I'm not sure you can generalize the fly size with wets any more than you can with dry flies. They do. after all. represent certain insects at certain stages of development that are in your river. I have some wets that I like to fish when the gnats are out and about that are tied on 18 to 22s. (My eyes and age keep me from going any smaller.) 12 -14s are popular and fish well quite often but don't ignore tying some in other sizes.

Once you feel proficient on the 12s, start experimenting with other sizes.

A BWO wet in sizes 18-22 are deadly early and late in the year. They can be as simple as a thread body and one turn of dun hackle.....or as complicated as you want - rib, thorax, tail, etc.

Joe

Some of the so called Spider Patterns might have the hackle that long. Generally on my own soft hackles I shoot for a hackle length of about where the barb might be on a barbed hook, I use grouse or natural hen hackle. It's easier for me to find the correct length on smaller flies of say size 16 or 18 from my Wapsi hen neck. My 12 and 14 caddis I can use local grouse that I bagged up years ago. Most of my partridge is longer like yours but good for spider patterns. I use Mustad 3906 hooks a lot, average length wet hook unlike the 3906B which is longer.

I do tie one wet fly on that 3906B though, it's size 12 caddis wet fly and has a soft collar on it, with turkey wet wing over the back, jade floss body. Awesome fly in the tail of pools sometimes ( like June in Maine on some of the bigger river pools, right before faster water).. There is just something about that situation where I've had this fly really shine for me.

The one thing that stands out to me is the head. As said earlier, about 1 eye length. The thread also looks large. For soft hackles size 14 to 16 I use 70 denier UTC. For flies in 18 to 22 I will use a 10/0 or 12/0.

For hackle I use, depending on the fly, partridge, starling, and hen cape. Just playing around I have also used guinea and pheasant.

This book, along with some others by Syl Nemes will expand your understanding of soft hackles - the tying process and how they can be fished:

https://www.amazon.com/Tying-Fishing-Soft-Hackled-Nymphs-Allen/dp/1571884033

Allen McGee is a big fan of the Mustard 3906B Hook for his ties...his book references the insects he is imitating...CK. out his site HERE:

http://allenmcgee.blogspot.com

PT/TB

The one thing I notice is the hackle length relative to the hook size with soft hackle flies.

What do you guys think... is this hackle on this tie a little bit long-ish?

I thought I remember that on a soft hackle ... the hackle should be a little .. just a little bit...past the hook point when it's finished being tied - is this correct? If so.. maybe this one is a little bit long.

BCT

The one thing I notice is the hackle length relative to the hook size with soft hackle flies.

What do you guys think... is this hackle on this tie a little bit long-ish?

I thought I remember that on a soft hackle ... the hackle should be a little .. just a little bit...past the hook point when it's finished being tied - is this correct? If so.. maybe this one is a little bit long.

BCT

When soft hackles were first developed the hackles were longer than what is accepted today. I have fished soft hackles with hackles long like what is tied and I have fished them with hackle that stopped at the barb. Each one had success at different times. Sometimes I think the length of the hackles has more to do with how effective the fly is than the size.

I have to agree with planettrout, I am just finishing a book, Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackle Nymphs by Allen McGee. In the book he says that the hackle can go from the hook point to 1 1/2 times the length of the hook shank, depending on what look you are going for. Spiders are usually longer hackle length, but in the end it is pretty much up to the tyer as to what length they want the hackle to be, and that would be best set by the aquatic life in the waters they are fishing.

Blane

#14's are probably most generally desirable for trout, but, as usual, it depends...

The hackle length on this one is a bit long. I generally prefer it to end somewhere between the hook barb and the bend as the hackle generally imitates legs, and those aren't very long on the naturals.

To get a bit better proportions wrap the body further up, to about an eye length behind the eye, then wrap the hackle. And before you build the head and whip finish give the bobbin a good spin counter-clockwise to flatten out the thread, and that'll give you smoother, smaller head.