Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
islander727

Faux Bucktail?

Yes, Troutguy. But you will only find one that's been hit by an autonomous car, on a virtual highway.

If you clipped Kankalon hank from transvestiteEntertainer passed out on Bourbon Street, would this be Faux Yak Roadkill????

So apparently I lied when I said I wasn't going to mess with it- I bought a package of it in white. I've tied quite a few CDMs, and other "bucktail" streamers with it so far and I still am not sure I like it. I also don't much like Veevus 6/0 thread, but in this case, the two materials work well together. The texture of the thread grabs a clump of this material better than flat thread which I normally use. Other posters are correct in that it has zero compression when tied in. Tiny drops of CA glue are your friends when working with this material. It does LOOK nice, more translucent than natural white bucktail. It is definitely stiffer than most natural bucktail. In my opinion it will be better suited to large, long flies. It is interesting, but it's not going to replace the real thing on my bench.

Being stiffer might make it a better alternative for support applications? I.E. when you tie in some bucktail to keep other, softer materials from fouling on the hook, etc.?

possibly. So far I haven't fished any of the flies I've tied with it. Hopefully soon.