Fly Tying

Dragons tails?

Way to go HD.....clears ereything up for ereybody!

Just been invited by favorite daughter catfish dinner and go to Basspro, Jackson Ms. shortly....grab some loot. Like kid goin to candy store....HotDamn!!!

Prolly no dragon tails though, oh well....

I’ve yet to order any. Right now I’m busy filling jig orders and doing a bit re-fitting with my old skiff (and that’s when I’m in town...).

Still a bit iffy about them fouling, shedding water, and durability (and price). Yes I agree the movement is insane, but is it really worth all the negative side effects? One valid point that I have been thinking about is that it is something new. Tarpon , especially in the keys, see a lot of flies. Toads and v-shaped hackle style patterns are the most common, so maybe the dragon tail will have that effect since they have never seen this kind of thing before? Tarpon season is right around the corner and only time will tell...

Okay, I'm going to need to try these. Looks like they could end up being (at last) a suitable plastic worm imitation that doesn't cast like a wet bath towel. smile.png What would be really cool would be if you could Texas-rig them like a real plastic worm, thus making them completely weedless...maybe tie them on a bend-back hook, keel hook or an inverted worm hook, kind of like Rich McElligott does with his worms?

Looks like they could end up being (at last) a suitable plastic worm imitation that doesn't cast like a wet bath towel.

Orrrrr ... you could just use plastic worms and conventional gear.

I love fly fishing, but there are situations where other options are more apropos.

Mike, I agree, that would be the easiest solution. I kind of like tinkering with flies to try and make them mimic other types of lures, though, just to see if I can do it. It's fun for me. smile.png

I do turn to the spinning rod, however, if I want to fish more than 2-3' down. I'm not a fan of full-sinking lines.

I don't use sinking lines, even though I should for peacock bass since they are usually on the bottom. What I do, is use a heavy butt section of leader, usually 40lb flour, then tie that with a loop to loop with 25 (mono) then the same to 15 (mono). This way it'll sink, although not as fast, and you won't be replacing expensive fluorocarbon leader.

I used to pick up a spin rod when things got tough, but then a guide told me that you get better by fly fishing in the hard conditions, makes you adapt and in turn more knowledgeable. I must say, he was right ...

Flats you could always just use a versa leader when needed then you don't have to go through tube hassle of switching lines. I usually fish with a suspending line for bass the sink rate is so slow I can still fish topwater but add a versa leader and it becomes a hinge free sink tip.

Can't believe I'm hearing this.... treasonous! And from a moderator! Y'all can't keep this about fly/fly fishing need to keep it to yourself....

Just kidding! Not a total purist either but there are some here biting their tongues.... meanwhile back to the forum which is already in progress.....

Is apropos like tenkara?

You're right, Denduke, sort of.

1) I've always had a bit of a peeve about tying flies that look like lures. Just seems ... wrong ... to me.

2) Fishing in Florida is, often, not always conducive to the nuances of fly fishing.

Some of you might be able to cast into, hook, and bring in a fish with a fly rod in this ...

Florida lake 3.jpg

... and I've fished pads like this, with varying degrees of success.

But ... using a fly rod in this ...

Florida lake.jpg

... is sure to frustrate even the best fly anglers. Your line drapes across the grasses, your fly won't even drop to the water and when you take up to cast, your leader wraps around grass stems.

And fishing down in these holes ...

Florida lake 2.jpg

... I'm not even going to try this with anything but braided line on a bait caster set up.

Come on, Mike. Where's your sense of adventure. Granted most of the places I fish don't have that type of cover.

post-309-0-43905400-1519483865_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-73446200-1519483891_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-16088000-1519483970_thumb.jpg