Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
strutnstuff

Wading boot studs

I agree. Studded felt can't be beat. I don't wade that often, maybe a dozen or so times a year, so I've never worn a set of studs off of a boot before the boot is rotted and gets thrown away. Current boots going on their 4th season.

Old Hat, good point. Of course none of us really care all that much about ecosystems when our way is threatened.

Felt ain't legal though and studs are.

Old Hat, good point. Of course none of us really care all that much about ecosystems when our way is threatened.

Felt ain't legal though and studs are.

Not caring much about ecosystems is exactly what threatens your way.

"Not caring much about ecosystems is exactly what threatens your way."

Yeppers, ...

(fwiw, north to south, east to west, limestone, freestone, gravel and mud bottoms; I have never found a place where lugged rubber bottoms didn't work for me. I never was smart enough to know I needed anything else.)

Felts legal in my neck of the woods. Did anybody read the links to the felt studies posted earlier in the thread?

Thankfully felt is legal here too. Surprisingly the state legislature didn't succumb to the baseless, knee-jerk, anti-felt bandwagon. Where I fish studded felt soles are simply the safest for wading and I prefer to stay alive.

Kold Kutter ice racing tire studs. Find them cheap on line in 50, 250 or more quantities.

http://koldkutter.com/

koldkutter-home.jpg

I bought a pack of these last year,and they're worth their weight in gold.I screwed them into my felt,using epoxy on the threads. I don't know it the epoxy was necessary,but I figured it wouldn't hurt. The felt was pretty useless by its self,but with these studs,I can handle any slim in the stream. I remind myself all the time not to get too cocky while wading, due to my new found traction.What if I step on a rock that's loaded with extra super slime.biggrin.png So far,these screws have worked much better than expected.

I'll probably have to leave the remainder of the bag to someone in my will, somebody's going to be very happy when I check out.laugh.png