Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
strutnstuff

Wading boot studs

Don't know if 409 is effective re "rock snot" (?? Really called that!!?? 🤣) algae but maybe worth checking out if you're using bleach...

Yep. Rock snot. I've seen a flourishing, life filled stream/river sections go completely Baron when it moves in too. Saddening. http://www.nyis.info/index.php?action=invasive_detail&id=40

Not so funny, so much for emoticons. So is it that felt transmits it more than other materials, or is it that bleach wrecks felt but not so much the new rubber soles, or just the obvious that felt needs longer to disinfect than nonpoirous materials? Awkward being so behind on this, but in California I've always been able to buy & use felt and have always been told just to wash with water & maybe a mild soap & dry out between uses, not bleach, 409, etc

I've learned a lot by reading this thread, thanks guys.

I have used 3/8 screws for several years on my felts, and they're such an improvement over plain felt or felt with the old built in studs, both of which I used for years. I've never had a screw in stud come out, and I wade and climb around in some pretty nasty places, plus they hold way better than the old built in studs. I haven't felt the need for aluminum bars or discs yet, but that day may come.

On a side note, I find it interesting how many guys from all over now use studs. Just over 10 years ago the number of studded boots simms sold was just a small fraction of the total they sold, and almost all of those were sold in the PNW. I'm glad the new technology has changed that, except when I accidentally step on my fly line and my sharp studs cut my $90 fly line in half. Another reason to switch to aluminum I guess.

except when I accidentally step on my fly line and my sharp studs cut my $90 fly line in half. Another reason to switch to aluminum I guess.

You can add to that how much grief you'll get from the family when you forget you still have your studded boots on and walk into the cabin on the peel & stick vinyl floor tiles ph34r.png

You guys are tickling my funny bone ... laugh.png ... Flap, flap, flap, as you walk across the floor with a couple of tiles stuck to your feet !!!

I'm amazed the environmental whackjobs are not screeching about the damage that bleach does to ducks and geese and herons, especially their feet! Surely they are bleaching and completely drying themselves before moving from one waterway to the next, right?

I'm amazed the environmental whackjobs are not screeching about the damage that bleach does to ducks and geese and herons, especially their feet! Surely they are bleaching and completely drying themselves before moving from one waterway to the next, right?

1. We aren't whackjobs.

2. Just because aquatic animals could be spreading things around doesn't mean that people shouldn't do what we can to prevent US from spreading them.

Not so funny, so much for emoticons. So is it that felt transmits it more than other materials, or is it that bleach wrecks felt but not so much the new rubber soles, or just the obvious that felt needs longer to disinfect than nonpoirous materials? Awkward being so behind on this, but in California I've always been able to buy & use felt and have always been told just to wash with water & maybe a mild soap & dry out between uses, not bleach, 409, etc

My understanding of it is that the inside of the felt can stay wet for a very long time. Like a month or more. If your gear thoroughly dries, the algea dies. So they've kinda singled out the felt as the biggest transmitter of the stuff, due to it being a great habitat for the tiny algae for extended periods. *I am not a biologist or botanist, this is just my general understanding of it from reading and taking to people over the years.*

My understanding of it is that the inside of the felt can stay wet for a very long time. Like a month or more. If your gear thoroughly dries, the algea dies. So they've kinda singled out the felt as the biggest transmitter of the stuff, due to it being a great habitat for the tiny algae for extended periods. *I am not a biologist or botanist, this is just my general understanding of it from reading and taking to people over the years.*

Soaking the boots in hot tap water for 30 minutes or freezing is the quickest way to kill algae (didymo). Then you can use the boots the next day.

However, this will not kill all the other invasives and that is the problem. There is no single treatment. Soap and water will not do it. What soap and water does is to decrease the level of contamination but with invasives that does not eliminate transfer. Kind of like a surgeon washing his hands but not putting on sterile gloves. It does not prevent an abscess - it just delays the formation of an abscess until the bacteria multiply.

Yes, I use Rock Treads. The aluminum discs do not stay shiny, as the rock bites into the aluminum to give traction. It takes about 50 pounds of pressure to get the aluminum to bite. As I said, I have no affiliation so agreeing or "completely disagreeing" is not an issue. They are new, you will hear more about them.

If you are against felt then you should get rid of your studs as well.

Nothing beats felt and studs together for grip. But, what had long been known and not spread is the damage both can cause especially to smaller systems where there is a lot of use. Not until Didymo and invasive snails became an issue did the possibly of introduction and transfer by felt come to a head. But, what has also been studied and known is the damaging effects of studs to the substrate. If you worry about felt than you should be just as worried about using studs. Scarring. The substrate is a micro habitat all in itself. Every pristine rock, cobble or boulder is a fine tuned biological environment. Scarring opens that environment to the introduction of invasive organisms and weakens the systems ability to fend them off. The natural system has ways and means to fend off invasives. Studs bite deep and scar the substrate. Its a kin to opening a dirt spot in your lawn and watching the weeds grow. I know it seams trivial, but so did the threat that was put on felt. By all means the industry couldn't handle the banning of felt and studs at the same time! If you are against felt then you should give up your studs as well. My guess is that the Rock Treads are a bi-product of trying to make a change without releasing the hounds on studs. They seem to be less likely to deeply scar the substrate.

I the past I used hard bites studs from Simms. Expensive and not good

run-out-studs.jpg

Now I use tungsten studs:

water-grip-of-Patagonia-boots.jpg

2 weeks of fishing in these kind or rivers:

rocky-banks.jpg

lapland-river-bank-with-big-and-dangerou

never had a problem and I'm more than pleased :)