Fly Tying

Big stuff

Supreme hair is slightly crinkled nylon strands. Not as fine as EP or Congo and a bit stiffer.

But it you only have Congo, go ahead and sub. Maybe use one piece of mono hidden in the center to give it some backbone, if it is that vital to you.

Those are all really cool. I have no salt tying experience but sure do appreciate what you're doing.

Supreme hair is slightly crinkled nylon strands. Not as fine as EP or Congo and a bit stiffer.

But it you only have Congo, go ahead and sub. Maybe use one piece of mono hidden in the center to give it some backbone, if it is that vital to you.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I like that it's a shrimp pattern that's not fleeing backwards. Should look like an easy target to predators.

Trying to find/figure out some kinda waxed cord or something for good antenna for these shrimp and cdads. The stripped hackle breaks to easy crystal flash to limp. Have to hit the craft shops. Any suggestions?

IMG_2765.jpg

If I add antennae I usually use crystal flash, sometimes the woven kind which is thicker but does unravel. You could try Moose mane if you want something stiffer.

Great looking flies but don't be afraid to go small too. Some of my best flies are tied on #4 hooks, especially for reds but also for snook, trout, and everything else. This is especially the case if you plan on fishing the lights, clear water beaches, or on flats that are full of pods of glass minnows. You'd be surprised at how big of a fish will nail a small bait!

Tried mono, glue on braid, cock hackle stripped. See how they work. Prolly more to me than the fish...

IMG_2830.jpg

Little minnows for Bonita, school Dolphin, Spanish and some specks, reds under birds on tiny bait here in the Gulf.

IMG_2838.jpg

First attempt. Any decent sbs out there for the supreme hair shrimp? Found one video, but it only really focused on the tail. I subbed Congo hair instead of supreme hair. Just used sharpie dots for eyes. I'm not thrilled. Opinions? IMG_20180209_204921.jpg

Kinda the reason you gotta have continuous fibers with others blended in but also full length to keep them from coming loose. And a few loose doesn't hurt from front but loose from the tied tail not so....still overall look is fine and dandy.

The ones I'm seeing online and the one I found a video on show basically two tails (wings?). One goes half way down and on top, the other, full length and tied at the end. https://goo.gl/images/s1qu78 The body construction is what is most unclear to me. Mine came out pretty fugly. Did you just tie yours based off of pictures? Or did you have a source for tying instructions? I'm gonna try another one with less material in the tail. And maybe a dubbing body like yours, instead of the hackle and rubber legs, like the one I found on YouTube.

Bought a couple SF Shrimp from Cabelas years ago. Speckled trout fuzzed them up pretty good. Copied the tie had to use 5 min epoxy. Already determined from fishing them not to 2 piece the fibers ie tying in the long and laying some more on top in front.

First I tie a 4,5mm rattle halfway on top of hook and resin lotta wraps

Tie in rubber legs at back flared and pointed down slightly back

Leave 3 or four inches of thread loop for dubbing bring thread to front

Twist dubbing mixture with some orange at the end and wrap to the front

Added more rubber legs at front, 2 mono, bead, resin eyes

and antenna, mono

Mix some SF whatever with the stiff fibers all the same length of shrimp and attach at the orange dubbing area trim slant for shrimp horn

Shape the body flat with lil hump vert. and wrap thread at tail and resin. Need to flatten and turn tail hor. before resigning.

Resin the head couple of times or more to shape

Hope this helps...Sorry I don't go pattern describes much.

Learned a long time when photo or buying a fly to figure out how to tie it you tend to change or improve to get what works or what you want. 2 pieces fiber construct not the best is prolly the point here. The loose fibers in the middle attached on both end is the rub. Teeth, other hooks tend to reel havoc cuz can't "slip" out if you will. Ain't like youse guys new at this....

Typical rattle install in anything

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2845.png