Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DarrellP

traveling tying kit

Being an engineer that started out as a machinest everyone wanted Gerstner chests and roller cabinets.

They are high quality and worth every penny. Made in Dayton Ohio I believe.

I bought the box used off of eBay years ago for cheap but it is a really high quality box.

travel-box1.jpgtravel-box3.jpg

When I go really light:

wallet-1.jpg

wallet-2.jpg

wallet-3.jpg

wallet-4.jpg

wallet1.jpg

learn from me. I bought a Fishpond bag, the big one. What a mistake, I overstuff it and it takes a small man and a boy to carry it. As we have a club tying meeting every tuesday it gets to be a pain in the butt.

I think I am going back to an old brief case. I have tried cloth bags and recently one of Sterlite containers that fit under the bed.

Just to much to deal with. If it won't fit in the case I don't need it.

I use a military light backpack. Many pockets and pouches. It carries supplies easily and convieniently. Most all of my materials and tools is in it. I do have lots more but some is repeat materials and some is seldom used. Also materials is stored in zippered pencil bags with one side clear plastic and thread lead tinsels wire an such as well as tools are in water tight Plano boxes and hooks are in water tight bags sorted by type and size held together with snap type key ring and same for pencil bags. Vise is in ziplock bag stored in inner pockets. In short it is water tight and sorted packed for comfort and carries all I need at home or out to club tying on Thursday rain or shine.

I want to come up with a way to transport my stuff easily, and not spend a fortune. Obviously vise and tools, plus materials

After all this time and all these comments, I finally realized what was bugging me about this query.

When I think of a "travel kit" ... I'm planning for my week (up to 4 weeks) trips for work, where I'm bringing stuff along to occupy time in the hotel.

I believe you, and many of the respondents are thinking of a drive across town/city/State to a tying event.

My kit is designed to fit in my luggage without going over the weight limit for checked bags. Wooden cases are heavy. Large bags etc. are bulky and won't fit into a suitcase easily.

I know it doesn't matter that much, as many of the comments already address both types of "travel kits" ... but I was just wondering what type YOU are interested in?

One of my winter projects is to make a traveling case so this thread gave me lots to chew on. I've settled on an old hard leather briefcase that I will strip the guts out of and replace it with something. I think you have to identify what the traveling needs of the case are actually for. I can see a bigger case with lots of places to put lots of stuff for month long trips. For tying get togethers I don't see a need to carry more then a few materials to tie a pattern or two in a few hours. my focus will be on a secure place for the vice and other tools, a few or six bobbins, thread, lead, a few hooks and a general area for a minimal amount of material on an as needed basis.

I want to come up with a way to transport my stuff easily, and not spend a fortune. Obviously vise and tools, plus materials

After all this time and all these comments, I finally realized what was bugging me about this query.

When I think of a "travel kit" ... I'm planning for my week (up to 4 weeks) trips for work, where I'm bringing stuff along to occupy time in the hotel.

I believe you, and many of the respondents are thinking of a drive across town/city/State to a tying event.

My kit is designed to fit in my luggage without going over the weight limit for checked bags. Wooden cases are heavy. Large bags etc. are bulky and won't fit into a suitcase easily.

I know it doesn't matter that much, as many of the comments already address both types of "travel kits" ... but I was just wondering what type YOU are interested in?

I generally am only traveling for a long weekend. My bag is big enough, it just gets to be a jumbled mess very quickly.

My perception of the Title changed rapidly once I started to read the responses. I didn't realize things like passing the time on an extended business trip, or that so many travel to tying events, etc.

I was thinking of a streamside kit; something someone would take for a short fishing trip, maybe 3-4 says, to an unfamiliar area. Of course, that was assuming the flies weren't researched & tied up before leaving on the trip.

You know, a kit the size of a wallet, fitting in a vest pocket, with some awesome looking DIY micro vise...

As with everything else here, an interesting Thread to read!

:)

EDIT: tjm's post answered my questions... thanks!

Here is my travel kit and yes I do have a box of flies on it. This is of this morning. Been camping for a week but if Im need or bored I can tie just about anything I fancy.

521D192E-CD89-491F-B63E-F7E4ADC2B612_zps

57490242-09D2-49F4-8750-456667E5C8F0_zps

FC4D8986-7D22-404F-A25F-369373734CBA_zps

8F9D4EE0-78D8-4492-ADA5-EDD9F5A9AB9B_zps

431DC7EF-2C89-43E8-90CD-F961E05CB858_zps

01FA99F1-BAA7-443D-886F-E1783B95CC5F_zps

D9FFBAFE-44BD-44DE-85D7-BCD5A1C38CF6_zps

59CEAC6D-24C3-4D98-A7DE-2C9E10CF8A29_zps

586B3258-C8D5-41E4-A50F-A24C216F6EA3_zps

As you can see. It is well stocked organized waterproof and portable. My rod goes under the bag rolled up in the sleeping bag and tent with the reel inside the bag for outings packed in on my back. For tying events omit bag tent rod and reel. Never short on materials and can easily stow on plane or jet overhead.