Fly Tying
DarrellP

what repurposed items do you tie with

Back in the day when I had them around, I would tie a caddis pupa imitation using latex strips cut from condoms. Currently I will cut strips from mylar and my eyes are always looking for tying materials from anywhere. Thanks for lots of good ideas here.

Just to flip things around, I make artist's brushes for my wife out of less than desirable hackle, and even quills. I just whip finish the hackle onto the back end of a worn out regular brush, and then UV epoxy the wraps. Almost instant brush for next to no cost. Check out what these kind of brushes are selling for on eBay.

Three items from my "repurposed" gear. A Susan Bates #2 Crochet hook, a 0.264" bronze brush (I hunt deer with a ..260 Rem for lovers of esoteric calibers) and a pin. The first I kissed the opposite end of the crochet hook with a 3/32" drill and flared it a bit with a Dremel to make a half-hitch tool. The hook itself is my favorite dubbing loop spinner. The brush is set in a length of dowel for a dubbing brush, as is the pin, my bodkin.

Advantage of a bronze brush over Nylon is that you can clean the fuzz with a cigarette lighter.

rSftP4e.jpg

Quilting pins for foam frog eyes colored with a sharpie . I have also used candy wrappers, and gum foil , drinking straws, tape , rubber bands , elastic band like that found on underwear is a good source for rubber legs as is bungie cords Christmas tinsel . cotton balls . facial hair mixed into yarn copper wire striped from electric cords . plastic fork prong for underbody . I have not how ever used some ones pearl jewelry although one could if you like living on the edge.

I had a new member, who isn't really into fly fishing, contact me through PM. I checked out the website. I figured some of you might be interested in what they have to offer.

Below is the PM Chris sent me. I figure it's good enough to share.

Hey There,
"I work for a shop called Tinsel Trading and we specialize in antique gold and silver tinsel threads (and trims). We recently discovered that many fly tyers are interested in our stuff, and we did a few conventions. We're looking to spread the word more, so I wanted to see if there were any ad opportunities on the forum, or where I should post info about our shop that won't tick anybody off...
We've been in business since 1933 and you can visit our website at
Thanks,
Chris"

Before she passed away, my Mother gave me some metallic embroidery thread. Should make killer Bluegill flies.

Vick's lip care for floatant. Been using it since about 1990 and still using it for my flies. A fraction of fly shop floatant and last quite a long time. Just my 2cw.

Keep an open mind at garage sales, look on the tables you would normally pass. I bought a 6-foot red feather boa for 25c. A lifetime supply.

Look at the base holder I keep my Krazy Glue in... It's one of the plastic covers that comes with most new bicycles and goes on each end of the axle for the bike's wheels to keep them from poking through the cardboard container... I've had this one for many, many years - and of course I got it back in the years when my kids were small and a bike here or there was either a birthday or Christmas present....

RDIgUoE.jpg

My kids are long grown - these days I have seven grandkids to take fishing - but have only managed the oldest one so far....

Be a hero - take a kid fishing....

Since I've been a rodcrafter for a lot of years... when I needed a drying fixture for the flies I was tying... I used old sections of fishing rod blanks with a cork ring every six inches (and made three or four of them since I was production tying using FlexCoat for a really outstanding finish on my saltwater flies... The only drawback to using FlexCoat is that it's a rod builder's epoxy finish that need to turn in a fixture for about two hours to set up properly... This photo shows about three dozen tarpon flies that have cured out and are ready for packaging to go to a shop...

nzDaapD.jpg

Picked some of this stuff up the last time I went to rockler woodworking, I've been using it for about a month now, it's great reminders me of a thin fletch tight, it does a great job attaching eyes to fly bodies, it's also clear enough and thin enough to be able to coat completely of the eye like you would with uv resin. This bottle was about 12$ but will last a very long time. It also does a really good job of keeping dumbbell eyes in place.

post-58401-0-47565200-1571003975_thumb.jpg

Picked some of this stuff up the last time I went to rockler woodworking, I've been using it for about a month now, it's great reminders me of a thin fletch tight, it does a great job attaching eyes to fly bodies, it's also clear enough and thin enough to be able to coat completely of the eye like you would with uv resin. This bottle was about 12$ but will last a very long time. It also does a really good job of keeping dumbbell eyes in place.

I don't see a picture, was there supposed to be one?